Control systems app for HP Prime
10-13-2018, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 04:55 PM by hata.)
Control systems app for HP Prime
The Control Systems app is used to study the frequency domain response of control systems consisting of a process and a controller.
Open loop response with and without controller and resulting closed loop response (unity feedback loop) can be determined / compared.
The app takes as input the transfer function of a process as well as the settings of a (PID) controller.
It includes a ‘Bode plot’ which combines magnitude and phase plots on the same screen, indicating real frequency (log scale) and magnitude (log or dB scale) values, and not the logarithm of these values, although logarithmic scales are used.
This Bode plot does not rely on the built in HP Prime plot mechanism but is programmed from scratch, including mouse movement and key press detection and custom soft key menus to accomplish functionality that would not be possible otherwise.
The app also draws Nyquist and Nichols plots.
An extensive user quide is included in the zipped folder attached.
I included a few screen captures as well (taken from the user guide). See below.
Please let me know your comments.

See thread "Control Systems: HP prime app, now with frequency, time domain and root locus plots" for new and superseding app, posted March 2019

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.zip  HP Prime-control systems 20181020.zip (Size: 616.92 KB / Downloads: 181)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2018, 05:45 PM
RE: Control systems app for HP Prime
Nice work!
Very useful for the students in control systems classes.
10-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Very nice app and program. Must have taken a lot of work and time to get it completed. Thanks for your efforts. Will have to dig into it and learn more
about the subject.
10-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the nice words Anders and John C.
Yes, it took me three intensive months ...
I made a few small edits to my original post to allow people searching for the terms 'Nyquist' or 'Nichols' to find this thread.
If you have any question, feel free to let me know.
10-14-2018, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 04:32 PM by Anders.)
(10-14-2018 07:38 AM)hata Wrote:  Thank you for the nice words Anders and John C.
Yes, it took me three intensive months ...
I made a few small edits to my original post to allow people searching for the terms 'Nyquist' or 'Nichols' to find this thread.
If you have any question, feel free to let me know.

Hata,

Yes there is deep real theoretical and many months worth of work behind this. Well done!

And of course I have to ask Smile
Have you thought about doing the same type of app for the time discrete domain using Z transforms instead of Laplace?

I mean the app structure could be the same but of course all calculations would be different...
10-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Hi Anders
Yes, your idea is a very good one (implement Z-transform keeping the current app structure identical).
For the time being, however, I have other fish to fry ...
But I keep it in mind and who knows ...
10-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Hi all
Small bug corrected. For those having downloaded the previous version ("...20181013.zip") I advise to download the new version ("...20181020.zip").
Bug only affects calculations with a controller using a lead network.
To verify that you have installed the latest version, check out the welcome screen when starting the app. You should see "Control Systems App for HP Prime - v1.01" in the first line.
11-11-2018, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2018 02:43 PM by hata.)
New version v1.02 posted with minor new functionality added (main point: you can now store 9 controller setups) and one bug corrected (app worked only if decimal separator was set to 'dot'.
Check out the release notes and the user quide. Regards
.zip  HP Prime-control systems v1.02 20181111.zip (Size: 654.26 KB / Downloads: 82)
03-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Completely new app (based on this one, but rewritten and expanded with time domain and root locus plots) is available in a new thread, created March 29, 2019, named
"Control Systems: HP prime app, now with frequency, time domain and root locus plots".
Regards

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)