Exported App functions make nearly all Primes crash
09-15-2018, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2018 06:14 AM by grsbanks.)
Exported App functions make nearly all Primes crash
All variants of the HP Prime discussed here except the HP Prime Pro app on Android are running firmware 13865. The Android variant is running 13443.

If you're going to test this yourselves, please do a backup of your machine beforehand. It can cause instability...

Consider this small app (attached). It is based on "None", a completely empty app. The listing of the App program is as follows:

Code:
#pragma mode( separator(.,;) integer(h32) )

EXPORT Something()
BEGIN
  RETURN "Boo!";
END;

Couldn't be simpler.

So, grab your Rev. C Prime, throw this app at it, start the app and go straight to the Home screen. Now say I want to use the "Something()" function exported by the app. I'd hit the "Toolbox" key, tap the "App" soft menu, navigate to the "Nothing" app and tap it and a submenu opens showing me the "Something" function:

[Image: something.png]

Tap on it and it gets copied to the command line:

[Image: something2.png]

Hit [ENTER] and I get the expected result:

[Image: something3.png]

Now try and do the same thing with the Virtual Prime...

As soon as you tap on "Something" in the App Function menu, the Virtual Prime crashes.

OK. Let's try it on a G2 Prime.

As soon as you tap on "Something" in the App Function menu, you get a screen saying "Your HP Prime had a problem and will reboot in 3 seconds."

The same thing happens on the Android version of HP Prime Pro (freshly reset before entering the program).

This happens even with a freshly reset Virtual Prime and with a freshly reflashed G2.

No crash occurs if you type the name of the function manually on the command line.

Attached File(s)
.zip  Nothing.hpappdir.zip (Size: 854 bytes / Downloads: 10)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2018, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 10:54 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: Exported App functions make nearly all Primes crash
Crash Confirmed on Virtual Prime, w/full updates.

Running Win-7 Pro x64.

Damn. And now that image seems unstable as doing many things cause it to crash. Note that the 'Nothing' App no longer appears in the App window.

Tim - Advice on how to restore stability? Remove/reinstall the virtual Prime?

And yes, I stupidly did skip backing-up before testing this.

Godwin - May be a good idea to add a note to your post suggesting folks do a backup before testing this....

Update:

Prime (h/w Rev A) works as expected; same as shown in your screen shots.

(And yes, I did backup first this time).

--Bob Prosperi
09-16-2018, 06:17 AM
(09-15-2018 10:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Godwin - May be a good idea to add a note to your post suggesting folks do a backup before testing this....

Thanks for testing and confirming, Bob.

Sorry about the subsequent instability. I didn't have that, but then again I didn't have anything I wanted to keep in any of the machines and backups didn't cross my mind. I've followed up on your suggestion.
09-17-2018, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2018 03:56 AM by Tim Wessman.)
I'm doubtful that caused the instability. However, always possible I guess.

Thank you for finding this. There was a case where the UI only here was trying to access an empty list of "base" app functions and causing trouble. I cant see how it worked in any case, not just some versions!

You also caused a delay of the public beta that was supposed to come out today... Wink

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-17-2018, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2018 05:03 AM by grsbanks.)
(09-17-2018 03:55 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Thank you for finding this.

Thank you for acknowledging the bug! So many companies would just fix it silently rather than admit to having a bug out in the wild.

(09-17-2018 03:55 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There was a case where the UI only here was trying to access an empty list of "base" app functions and causing trouble. I cant see how it worked in any case, not just some versions!

Software moves in mysterious ways. Sometimes.

(09-17-2018 03:55 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  You also caused a delay of the public beta that was supposed to come out today... Wink

At least there should be one more fix in it when it does come out Smile
09-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Fixed in the 20180917 Beta Smile
09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
(09-18-2018 07:17 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Fixed in the 20180917 Beta Smile

I didn't dare to try that one... glad that you can confirm it's fixed!
09-18-2018, 10:52 AM
(09-18-2018 09:00 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  I didn't dare to try that one... glad that you can confirm it's fixed!

None of my Primes actually suffered data loss but I did ensure that there was nothing I wanted to keep in the G2, just in case Smile

@Tim Wessman -- any idea how long the beta testing phase will last and therefore more or less when we'll get the final release?
09-18-2018, 11:49 AM
(09-18-2018 10:52 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 09:00 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  I didn't dare to try that one... glad that you can confirm it's fixed!

None of my Primes actually suffered data loss but I did ensure that there was nothing I wanted to keep in the G2, just in case Smile

@Tim Wessman -- any idea how long the beta testing phase will last and therefore more or less when we'll get the final release?

You mean... the final release of THIS beta?!
09-18-2018, 11:56 AM
(09-18-2018 11:49 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  You mean... the final release of THIS beta?!

Final release, as in the finished product. The public release of which this is a beta Smile
09-19-2018, 08:47 PM
This is probably nothing, but I noticed that the App screen picture in the first post was missing the User soft menu tab. Just seemed odd.

[Image: e9aed5.png]
09-19-2018, 10:08 PM
That tab won't be there if you have no user programs defined.
09-20-2018, 06:59 AM
(09-19-2018 10:08 PM)roadrunner Wrote:  That tab won't be there if you have no user programs defined.

Correct. And at that point in time I didn't have any Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)