New G2 HP Prime
02-15-2019, 06:23 PM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
(02-15-2019 05:48 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I am aware only of the nspire series (nspire and nspire CX) that offers MB of user available ram. Maybe the casio classpad does it too

My CP400 (empty) claims 512KB memory free, and about 18MB free "storage" out of 24MB.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2019, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2019 07:40 PM by pier4r.)
(02-15-2019 06:06 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  There's some stuff in mine but very little, about 100KB worth.

"Mem > Info" gives me 246MB RAM and 460MB of flash available.

Impressive. Practically endless for common programs and math investigations.

Thanks also to cdmackay for the info.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
02-16-2019, 01:27 AM
The G2 is a nice improvement over Version C, but I still look forward to a G3 with a radically different screen. We've had beautiful Retina displays on mobile devices for YEARS, and if there is a weak point in the Prime's hardware it's the display. Let's face it, it's comparatively not great. Swapping that out for something much better would be all the incentive most Prime users would need to buy another Prime. As it stands now though, only "I've got to have every single HP calc made" types would buy a G2 Prime if they already own a Ver.C Prime.
02-16-2019, 02:26 AM
(02-16-2019 01:27 AM)JDW Wrote:  As it stands now though, only "I've got to have every single HP calc made" types would buy a G2 Prime if they already own a Ver.C Prime.

Hey, hey, careful, you make that sound like a bad thing... Wink

Actually I will get a G2 (once they become available here in USA) because of its superior specs. Most folks talk about needing (ok, wanting) the higher speed, but frankly the G1 Prime is more than fast enough for anything I will EVER do with mine, but the much larger RAM and Flash mean I can load all the programs I want and basically not have to choose which I do/don't load.

But I do wish more Apps included better built-in help. Prime offers the best resources I've ever seen in a calculator (flexible fonts, graphics, tree viewing, etc.) for documenting how to use the programs, yet I've only seen this done a handful of times. Sure, documentation is boring, but it's a surefire way for folks to really use your programs.

--Bob Prosperi
06-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Has anyone tried to use an otg keyboard?
06-03-2019, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2019 11:16 PM by TheLastMillennial.)
(06-03-2019 10:45 PM)rsfjr Wrote:  Has anyone tried to use an otg keyboard?
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, although the calculator will recognize the keyboard, there are no drivers written for the keyboard to actually function with the calculator. Sad
I have a thread that mentions it, these are the most relevant replies.
(02-15-2019 06:07 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  >USB keyboard
Short answer: No.
Long answer: the keyboard will actually be recognized and enumerated, but no driver were written (sorry, I was otherwise buzzy), so pressing on keys will not do anything. Plus, keyboards are a pain because they are all different. Had primed supported ONE keyboard, it would have been an azerty one:-).

(02-15-2019 11:11 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Well I would argue that [Human Interface] devices aren't supported because the majority of the target audience won't attach them to the calculator.
As always think about the economical effort (even just in brain cycles) of a feature to develop, support and expand for few individuals.

Dunno why [TI added support], it would be interesting to know. Maybe they did it because teacher can type commands faster. I would personally use a computer to type things, it is clumsy to type with a micro monitor. With the prime and the connectivity kit it is quite quick to control the system.

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2020, 08:56 PM
Hello, is it worth buying an HP Prime G2 in 2020 ?. I have an HP Prime G1, Hardware version A, and I have thought about buying the G2 because I am bothered by the poorly readable keys, in addition to the problem of screen flickering and low RAM in the G1. But I don't know if it is worth buying the new model in the middle of 2020. I have read that some have reboot problems, or key problems. But I don't know how true this is. I don't see HP working on new firmware for months, nor do I see HP promoting their calculator. I suppose it's because of the pandemic, but this worries me. This also makes me doubt whether to buy it. They could help me decide. Sorry for my bad English, my native language is Spanish. Thank you
11-17-2020, 01:43 PM
(11-16-2020 08:56 PM)franky48 Wrote:  Hello, is it worth buying an HP Prime G2 in 2020? I don't see HP working on new firmware for months, nor do I see HP promoting their calculator. I suppose it's because of the pandemic, but this worries me. This also makes me doubt whether to buy it.

It's difficult to answer your question if you already own an HP Prime, but I don't think there is enough feedback on the G2 version at the moment to make a conclusive comparison. You could possibly order the latest model and try it out, if it meets your needs, then keep it, otherwise send it back. You have nothing to lose!
03-24-2021, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2021 03:30 PM by OlidaBel.)
Any idea when HP will invent the successor of the G2 ?
Meanwhile, a G2 in the (shopping) basket, just for curiosity and I want it ;-)
03-24-2021, 02:09 PM
(03-24-2021 08:23 AM)OlidaBel Wrote:  Any idea when HP will invent the successor of the G2 ?
Meanwhile, a G2 in the (shopping basket), just for curiosity and I want it ;-)

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think there will be a successor. The market for dedicated calculator hardware is shrinking (being replaced by smartphone apps and tablets) and HP has made it very clear that they aren't interested in the calculator business much anymore.

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)