Have I bricked my Prime?
07-25-2018, 01:38 AM
Have I bricked my Prime?
Hi -

I did a silly thing: I tried to quickly update my Prime (which hadn't been updated in some time) in order to take it on a trip, and appear to have botched the job.

I downloaded the latest Connectivity Kit from HP onto my girlfriend's computer, connected the calculator, and started trying to update it. Windows then erupted a stream of popups trying to get me to pick an action for the device that had been attached, and updates to the firmware were meanwhile being started and failing, one after the other.

Now the calculator seems to be frozen in a cycle where the HP splash screen (though crossed by tic-tac-toe lines) is replaced by an x^2 + y^2 = 1 screen (similarly marked) which is followed by a black screen. The cycle then repeats. I have paper-clipped the reset hole several times, to no effect.

The calculator is now not recognized by the Connectivity Kit when I plug it in.

What should I do? Is my Prime toast?

I'm currently charging it because I'm out of ideas. Maybe I should let it drain instead ... but that would take a while, no?

Thanks,

Glenn Becker
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2018, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2018 01:51 AM by Tim Wessman.)
RE: Have I bricked my Prime?
Hold down the SYMB key during boot. This will drop it into "recovery mode". If your battery has run out in the meantime, just hold SYMB while you plug in the USB to provide power.

Then connect it to a windows computer and open the connkit. Make sure 3 files get sent in total. If it appears stuck after the end of the first file, disconnect the usb, and then reconnect it. That will "unstick" it and the next file will send.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-25-2018, 02:08 AM
That did it! Thank you so much.

G
07-25-2018, 10:38 AM
(07-25-2018 01:51 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Hold down the SYMB key during boot. This will drop it into "recovery mode". If your battery has run out in the meantime, just hold SYMB while you plug in the USB to provide power.

Then connect it to a windows computer and open the connkit. Make sure 3 files get sent in total. If it appears stuck after the end of the first file, disconnect the usb, and then reconnect it. That will "unstick" it and the next file will send.

Thanks a lot.

Guy R. KOMAN, hp 50G, hp Prime Rev. C

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)