Casio FX991EX
11-07-2018, 08:31 PM
RE: Casio FX991EX
(11-07-2018 07:03 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  ...
I will play with these hex numbers - like in the 90's when I PEEK-ed the BASIC tokens from my fx-850P memory. Good old memories Wink

It was even more fun POKEing random values into program space of a Sharp's PC-1247. Not only did I get to find out a significant number of BASIC tokens (POKE, then list the line) I got to find out some other stuff too... like a pair of locations held a line number (I think, it's been nearly three decades since I had it).

(Post 314)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2018, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2018 10:52 PM by edryer.)
Just received the FX-991EX and can compare it to the FX-85WA, a 1998 $15 Scientific, so about the same price twenty years ago.

FX-991EX Advantages/Disadvantages ($15-$20 2018)
Has far more functionality than the FX-85WA (Vectors/Matrices/Solver + much more)
Build is middling, keys wobble and even putting the plastic cover on is difficult (cheaped out tolerances)
LCD quality is fairly poor, certainly can't be called great, legible but again cheaped out.
However.. LCD is quite a bit larger than the 85WA and fonts (can be) smaller.
Interface a bit kludgy (I only tried matrices but very cumbersome)
Much faster than the 85WA at least twice as fast.

FX-85WA Advantages/Disadvantages ($15 1998, today around $5 or so)
Basic Core Scientific with all the stuff you'll need but nothing more (or less).
Superior build, cover smoothly fits every time, thick heavy plastic cover (with a durable quick ref card insert).
Keyboard solid old Casio feel.
Superior Ultra Sharp high contrast LCD (one of the best I have ever seen) can see even in low light.
Every function a keystroke or two away - very, very intuitive.
No need for a manual for this one - everything is self explanatory.

In summary back in '98 even the mass produced FX-85WA was a pretty solid durable product, well thought out and quite capable, cheap but solid, even twenty years on it feels and works like new, an indestructible cheapo workhorse.

The FX-991EX is a bit of a disappointment, yes, turbo charged, but quality is not great and whilst it "looks" better, a closer look and you will see how shoddy the whole build is. Useful for a few courses or so... but longer term it may well still be as reliable as the 85WA however physically I would not be so sure.

This to me is a reflection of the times... a trend towards disposability... whilst back in '98 I expect more was invested in decent manufacturing, nowadays cheap manufacturing to the minimal of standards is the norm.

Of course I expect to see disagreement but it is my view!

HP-28S (1988 US model), DM41X (2020)
Find all posts by this user
12-28-2018, 11:04 PM
(12-28-2018 09:16 PM)edryer Wrote:  This to me is a reflection of the times... a trend towards disposability... whilst back in '98 I expect more was invested in decent manufacturing, nowadays cheap manufacturing to the minimal of standards is the norm.

When I was in engineering school decades ago, my Professor said the ideal engineered product is reliable for its "life",
then drop dead with all parts fail at once. Any over-designed component is a no-no.

Cheap is good ... Big Grin
12-29-2018, 01:29 AM
BTW, I have just upgraded my ol' reliable 2007 iMac with a modern SSD. It was nice to do this sort of surgery, since it let me delve into its design. Now I am a happy camper again. Some W10 laptops at work don't provide the fast and smooth response I got with xUbuntu Linux distribution on this old iMac. I have modern laptops at home, but I really enjoy working with this 11-years-old computer.

We should praise any well-thought work of engineering not falling apart as soon as its planned obsolescence is reached. HP calcs included! :O)

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
10-31-2019, 08:46 PM
Recently purchased a similar calculator: fx-991 DE X (CY-251 Ver E). Most of all I liked the cardboard packaging, made in strict minimalism without any advertising.
[Image: 28399655_m.jpg]

http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1572552667/12862...399655.jpg
11-01-2019, 09:46 PM
(10-31-2019 08:46 PM)Hlib Wrote:  Recently purchased a similar calculator: fx-991 DE X (CY-251 Ver E). Most of all I liked the cardboard packaging, made in strict minimalism without any advertising.

The fx-991MS 2nd edition I bought recently came in a similar box format, though not quite as minimalist. At least it's not a horrible blister pack.

[Image: Pza3gV4.jpg]

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)