Drivers
07-10-2018, 07:13 AM
Drivers
I need a driver of HP50G. Please support to me. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
RE: Drivers
(07-10-2018 07:13 AM)neokid2416 Wrote:  I need a driver of HP50G. Please support to me. Thanks

Driver for using the USB cable? If not, then for what?

For a PC, or Mac?

We can help better if you can be more specific about what you need.

--Bob Prosperi
07-10-2018, 03:34 PM
(07-10-2018 12:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-10-2018 07:13 AM)neokid2416 Wrote:  I need a driver of HP50G. Please support to me. Thanks

Driver for using the USB cable? If not, then for what?

For a PC, or Mac?

And for what operating system and version?

— Ian Abbott
07-13-2018, 11:17 PM
(07-10-2018 03:34 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(07-10-2018 12:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Driver for using the USB cable? If not, then for what?

For a PC, or Mac?

And for what operating system and version?

At least for Linux, the kernel has drivers for the protocol the HP50G uses, so you can use ckermit with it. That's a little more complicated than using the Windows setup though and others can elaborate on that.

(Post 255)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-2018, 09:03 AM
You won't get one for the 50g on windows. Microsoft started requiring signed drivers on windows 8 and up, and to get the signing you need to pass some USB checks. The 50G can't pass those checks due to a hardware issue with the samsung chip inside of it. That is why we couldn't make one back when the 50G was still on sale. It has been discontinued for several years now though.

You don't need the USB communication though. The ONLY thing you can't do easier and better with the SD card alone is take live screenshots during program execution.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-14-2018, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2018 12:00 PM by ijabbott.)
(07-14-2018 09:03 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  You won't get one for the 50g on windows. Microsoft started requiring signed drivers on windows 8 and up, and to get the signing you need to pass some USB checks. The 50G can't pass those checks due to a hardware issue with the samsung chip inside of it. That is why we couldn't make one back when the 50G was still on sale. It has been discontinued for several years now though.

I wonder if it's possible to wire up a TTL3V3 USB serial port to the calculator's 4-pin serial port? That may be one way around the signed drivers issue. (I know there are some home-brew serial cables and even a non-HP commercial one, but the TTL serial option looks fairly straightforward.)

Back to the USB port, I tried connecting the 50g's USB to my PC running Debian GNU/Linux and it loaded the "usb_serial_simple" driver for it. I successfully sent a file from the calc to the PC using kermit, so that seems to work. (I vaguely remembered using C-Kermit for other stuff back in the 1990s.)

— Ian Abbott
07-15-2018, 04:29 PM
(07-14-2018 09:03 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  You won't get one for the 50g on windows. Microsoft started requiring signed drivers on windows 8 and up, and to get the signing you need to pass some USB checks. The 50G can't pass those checks due to a hardware issue with the samsung chip inside of it. That is why we couldn't make one back when the 50G was still on sale. It has been discontinued for several years now though.

The only way round this is to boot Windows up with driver signing enforcement switched off when you install the standard USB driver that comes with the CK. You don't need Windows to remain in this state to use the drivers, only to install them, so once you've done the installation and connected the calculator once to ensure that it is recognised, you can reboot Windows and switch driver signing enforcement back on.

Caveat: if you're one of the Windows Insiders getting Insider Preview releases of Windows 10 regularly, you'll have to reinstall the drivers each time you get a new build of Windows because the update process clobbers unsigned drivers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)