This poll is closed.
Layout a) 64.58% 31 64.58%
Layout b) 35.42% 17 35.42%
Total 48 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

A sweet little poll about the WP 31S layout
04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
RE: A sweet little poll about the WP 31S layout
(04-21-2014 01:22 PM)Manolo Sobrino Wrote:  It is Walter's calculator, he wants LG so he gets LG, period. The nice thing about this calc is that it is GPLv3, so anybody can change whatever they want. There's no point in arguing about it. Some banter is fun, but I wouldn't take it too far.

The whole matter is funny. The designer/creator goes for a standard that no one is really using, because that is the very German right thing to do. And then people complain endlessly as if this were a design committee. Well, it is not.

Even though I am interested in following the discussion on various calculator layouts, I have stayed on the sidelines. You are right that this is not a "design committee" and thank goodness it's not. I've spent many years on various design committees that could never come to a single conclusion - they just went on and on and on... re-discussing and rehashing the same thing with nothing being done or accomplished until a single person or couple of people would just take the bull by the horns and do the final report, ignoring most of what had been hashed over. As we like to say at work, there's comes a time when you just have to say "Damn the Engineers, Ship Something!"

I also have a personal policy of NEVER answering any Poll. I do not find that polls are useful and are just a waste of my time. As Walter has found, Yes/No, or A/B polls are very difficult in that people will always have opinions they wish to interject in why they want something else. And the designer of the poll usually already has a preconceived notion of what they want to do. The poll is usually just to see if they are way off base.

There is NO perfect calculator. At this point, I would suggest - stop the polls - ship something!

And then the discussion can start on why everything you did was wrong. Smile

Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2014, 02:24 PM
(04-21-2014 02:04 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  And then the discussion can start on why everything you did was wrong. Smile

Blush I know Bill, I know... and I blame myself every time I see this thread.
04-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Here we go!
Thanks, Manolo and Bill, for your thoughts. Indeed, I used this poll to check whether we were far off (and I guessed I could run the risk). Wink The lower case thing came a bit surprising to me, but eventually it turned out being a movement of only two people without backing. So we'll be consistent in labels with the WP 34S (except SHOW - I can't change that).

(04-21-2014 02:04 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  At this point, I would suggest - stop the polls - ship something!

And then the discussion can start on why everything you did was wrong. Smile

And since 15:00 UTC has passed: here we go with layout (a). Eric, please print overlays. Smile

d:-)
04-21-2014, 02:40 PM
(04-21-2014 02:34 PM)walter b Wrote:  And since 15:00 UTC has passed: here we go with layout (a). Eric, please print overlays. Smile

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to Eric's very nice overlays!

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
(04-21-2014 02:34 PM)walter b Wrote:  The lower case thing came a bit surprising to me, but eventually it turned out being a movement of only two people without backing.

A movement? Ha! Big Grin Come on Walter.
I didn't even vote in order not to foul up the poll among those who will use the 31S.
I won't.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-21-2014, 03:57 PM
(04-21-2014 03:23 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 02:34 PM)walter b Wrote:  The lower case thing came a bit surprising to me, but eventually it turned out being a movement of only two people without backing.

A movement? Ha! Big Grin Come on Walter.

Caso mai un movimento? Big Grin E Massimo, nessuno forza ti di utilizzare un 31S. C'e solo una offerta per te. Smile

(Some Italian clarifications. No Sicilian ones, however Wink )

d:-{
04-21-2014, 04:05 PM
(04-21-2014 03:57 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 03:23 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  A movement? Ha! Big Grin Come on Walter.

Caso mai un movimento? Big Grin E Massimo, nessuno forza ti di utilizzare un 31S. C'e solo una offerta per te. Smile

(Some Italian clarifications. No Sicilian ones, however Wink )

d:-{

I know Walter, and I didn't want to diminish the work of everybody involved in the project. I think I'll pass the offer, right now. Who knows in the future... Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
(04-21-2014 02:40 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 02:34 PM)walter b Wrote:  And since 15:00 UTC has passed: here we go with layout (a). Eric, please print overlays. Smile

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to Eric's very nice overlays!

-Jonathan

Sadly I will give this one a miss. Finger travel for powerfull and probably often used commands like polar to rectangular and back is unacceptable to me.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)