Replacement rubber feet for 50g
04-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Replacement rubber feet for 50g
I've found a source for replacement rubber feet for the HP 50g, as well as the 49g+, 48gII, 39gs, 40gs, and likely other models which use the same chassis (I don't have a 38G, 39G or 40G, but assume they are the same). FYI the 49g uses similar but smaller feet that are not compatible.

As most users know, the small rubber feet on these models (and on the hard covers of same models that include a cover) commonly and easily fall off, typically leaving a sticky mouting hole and an "unbalanced" calculator that rocks, makes noise, etc.

Joe Horn has even created a web page dedicated to this problem here: http://holyjoe.net/hp/crummyfeet.htm.

Multiple vendors found on TAS sell replacement black rubber feet kits for the TI-84 Plus and they work fine on the above HP models! These same feet also fit specific other TI models (e.g. TI 89 Titanium) and they are also available in light grey.

Note that similar feet for TI-83 Plus, TI-86 TI-89 are NOT compatible.

To install them be sure to thouroughly clean the mounting hole of the original glue, dust, and accumulated crud. Once clean, you just carefully install the rubber foot, taking care to not touch the adhesive on the rubber foot's bottom. The size of these feet is a tiny bit oversized which means it's a tight fit, and you will likely have to "tuck it in" all the way around the perimiter (I use a dental pick and jeweler's screwdriver tip). This slight interference fit also means the foot is less likely to fall out!

Typical kits include 6 feet for $4.50 and also include a single large rubber foot, as used on that TI model, which can be carved as needed to replace similar feet on other devices.

Please add to this by sharing similar tips for related topics (e.g. best ways to clean the crud from the mounting hole, etc.)

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2014, 01:40 AM
RE: Replacement rubber feet for 50g
Thanks for the helpful tip. I hope it doesn't get lost while everyone is at the beach or walking in the woods.
08-29-2021, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2021 05:00 PM by ramon_ea1gth.)
I just repaired the rubber feet of my HP 50g. The original glue was degraded, leaking around the feet. So before losing them, I removed the four feet and cleaned feet and sockets with isopropyl alcohol (to avoid damaging the plastic).
By chance, I had some glue to repair neoprene suits: it is like contact cement. It is pretty stable and elastic on neoprene, so I felt it was a good option for an elastic union with the rubber feet.
The result is very satisfactory after applying the glue: now let's see what happens with time.

[Edit:]
No luck with the contact-cement-style glues (standard or for neoprene). The glue doesn't stick to the rubber foot: it is easy to peel-off from the rubber's surface. So I had to go for the Super Glue (cyanoacrilate). It's more aggressive with plastics, but apparently it works. A very tiny amount must be applied to the foot socket, to avoid leakages around the edges of the socket when introducing and pressing the foot rubber. I used a toothpick to spread the tiny amount of liquid glue. The result is very clean: again, let's see the durability.

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2021, 09:36 AM
I have good experiences with Pattex Repair Extreme. Don't know how many tubes I've used in my life. Sticks very well on almost all materials, stays elastic and fills gaps. Can also often be removed without residue (peels off in one piece with some force). All my HP feet are glued with it. Smile
09-04-2021, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback! By now, the Super Glue made a good job. However, I like the fact that the glue can be kept elastic and removed if required. Good to know for my other backup HP50g in case it needs feet "fixing" Smile

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2
09-04-2021, 12:58 PM
(08-29-2021 04:43 PM)ramon_ea1gth Wrote:  I just repaired the rubber feet of my HP 50g. The original glue was degraded, leaking around the feet. So before losing them, I removed the four feet and cleaned feet and sockets with isopropyl alcohol (to avoid damaging the plastic).
By chance, I had some glue to repair neoprene suits: it is like contact cement. It is pretty stable and elastic on neoprene, so I felt it was a good option for an elastic union with the rubber feet.
The result is very satisfactory after applying the glue: now let's see what happens with time.

[Edit:]
No luck with the contact-cement-style glues (standard or for neoprene). The glue doesn't stick to the rubber foot: it is easy to peel-off from the rubber's surface. So I had to go for the Super Glue (cyanoacrilate). It's more aggressive with plastics, but apparently it works. A very tiny amount must be applied to the foot socket, to avoid leakages around the edges of the socket when introducing and pressing the foot rubber. I used a toothpick to spread the tiny amount of liquid glue. The result is very clean: again, let's see the durability.

I use double-sided sheets with a very powerful adhesive on both sides. I peel some backing off one side, stick a foot to the exposed side then trim around the foot with an X-Acto knife. This leaves the foot with paper on the bottom. When I'm ready to mount the foot, I peel the paper off the bottom of it and carefully place the foot on the calculator. You only get one shot at it so you have to be careful to align an edge first. Once I finish putting the foot on the surface, I press it firmly, just to make sure. It's on there permanently and there's no mess or possibility of ooze.

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)