DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac
06-11-2018, 03:56 PM
DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac
Hi guys,
I have release 3.1 and just saw that the newest version is 3.7.
Has anyone of you run the update on a Mac or should I borrow a Windows/Linux machine
to do this. I am barely going through the manuals but no mention of Macs.

Thanks in advance.

Nomad VeHr

HP-27, HP-67 ( both legacy), Casio FX880P, HP-35S, WP34S, DM42, HP Prime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2018, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 05:13 PM by Thomas_Sch.)
RE: DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac
Please have a look at https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic....917a#p8448.
Beginning with release 3.7 the procedure changed, see https://github.com/swissmicros/DM42PGM/b.../README.md

forum.swissmicros.com is recommended regarding questions about SwissMicros products.

Release 3.7 is first announced here: https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic....t=20#p8372 (and on the following pages)

calculators: HP48, 49, 42S, 50, WP34s!, DM42
06-11-2018, 08:36 PM
In addition to what Thomas_Sch wrote above, it may be easier for you to upgrade to V3.5 first since it is all in one piece. Then further upgrades can be done by the FAT method. Actually, there is no real benefit in upgrading from V3.5 to V3.7 if all you want to do is use the calculator, as there are no bug fixes between the V3.5 and V3.7, just organisational changes.

Since installing dfu-util for a one time use may be a bit of a faff, it may be easier to find a friend running Windows 7 who is willing to help you update the firmware. (There are some problems with drivers when doing this on Windows 10. There are workarounds that leave Windows 10 in a slightly compromised state, so it would be unfair to borrow a friend's PC for this task.)
06-11-2018, 09:27 PM
I have actually found the upgrade path on the Mac to be easier than on the PC running Windows 10, due to the Windows 10 problems ijabbot mentions. The instructions are pretty clear, though --- follow them exactly and you should have no problems.
06-13-2018, 12:32 PM
(06-11-2018 08:36 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  In addition to what Thomas_Sch wrote above, it may be easier for you to upgrade to V3.5 first since it is all in one piece. Then further upgrades can be done by the FAT method. Actually, there is no real benefit in upgrading from V3.5 to V3.7 if all you want to do is use the calculator, as there are no bug fixes between the V3.5 and V3.7, just organisational changes.

Since installing dfu-util for a one time use may be a bit of a faff, it may be easier to find a friend running Windows 7 who is willing to help you update the firmware. (There are some problems with drivers when doing this on Windows 10. There are workarounds that leave Windows 10 in a slightly compromised state, so it would be unfair to borrow a friend's PC for this task.)

Installing dfu-util is easy if you already use Homebrew or MacPorts. (The SwissMicros documentation doesn't mention MacPorts, if I remember correctly, but since I use MacPorts myself and don't like Homebrew, I tried installing dfu-util with MacPorts; it installed a slightly older version than the one Homebrew installs, but it works fine for me.)

But yes, install 3.5 and from then on you can install from FAT, which doesn't require anything nonstandard on the Mac or PC side, since mounting USB disks is something they can all do out of the box.
06-13-2018, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2018 03:20 PM by NomadVehr.)
Thanks Thomas and ljabbott!

I´m no power user myself but I will look onto these MacPorts thing. One of my friends lent me a Win 10 machine which is rather clunky, but when I tried installing the unsigned driver, it came with a message saying basically that the system policy was blocking installing unsigned drivers. I tried several workarounds after researching, but unsccesfully so far.

Since you mention about your success with MacPorts, I will try a crack at it.

Regards,

Nomad VeHr

HP-27, HP-67 ( both legacy), Casio FX880P, HP-35S, WP34S, DM42, HP Prime.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)