Thread Closed 
Will the sqrt bug in Free42 be fixed?
05-17-2018, 01:10 AM
Will the sqrt bug in Free42 be fixed?
It has been a very long time since the SQRT bug in Free42 has been first mentioned...It was said that the fix would be version 2.0.21..is this going to be updated???
Find all posts by this user
05-17-2018, 04:41 AM
RE: Will the sqrt bug in Free42 be fixed?
(05-17-2018 01:10 AM)zeno333 Wrote:  It has been a very long time since the SQRT bug in Free42 has been first mentioned...It was said that the fix would be version 2.0.21..is this going to be updated???

I'm really sorry that the time interval between a bug being reported and it being fixed is a bit longer this time than usual for Free42, especially since this bug is so severe. Most other projects, commercial ones especially, would fix their bugs much faster than this.

Yes, that was pure sarcasm. Geez.
A very long time? It's been six weeks!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-17-2018, 05:52 AM
It's a tiny roundoff error, not a bug..
Werner

41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE,DM15L,12C,16CE
05-17-2018, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2018 10:02 AM by pier4r.)
Such requests reminds me of the FDIV bug. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

Likely no one would notice aside from few doing really serious and advanced work, but everyone wants to jump on the boat too Smile .

Aside from that, if the bug is so serious for the OP, Free42 is still open source as far as I remember so he could provide a patch.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
05-17-2018, 12:31 PM
(05-17-2018 01:10 AM)zeno333 Wrote:  It has been a very long time since the SQRT bug in Free42 has been first mentioned...It was said that the fix would be version 2.0.21..is this going to be updated???

I sincerely hope that this is not *another* trolling attempt to get *another* heated discussion going!

smp
05-17-2018, 10:30 PM
(05-17-2018 12:31 PM)smp Wrote:  

I sincerely hope that this is not *another* trolling attempt to get *another* heated discussion going!

smp

I don't think the questions "am I fixing Free42 bugs quickly enough" and "does anyone really think that after 13½ years I'm going to stop supporting Free42 without so much as an announcement" provide as much potential for misunderstandings and motivated reasoning as the GPL. Fingers crossed!
05-17-2018, 11:34 PM
(05-17-2018 10:30 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(05-17-2018 12:31 PM)smp Wrote:  I sincerely hope that this is not *another* trolling attempt to get *another* heated discussion going!

smp

I don't think the questions "am I fixing Free42 bugs quickly enough" and "does anyone really think that after 13½ years I'm going to stop supporting Free42 without so much as an announcement" provide as much potential for misunderstandings and motivated reasoning as the GPL. Fingers crossed!

I'm with you, Tom! My fingers are also crossed.

Thank you very much for all your effort and devotion to an excellent product.

smp
05-18-2018, 05:58 AM
(05-17-2018 10:30 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  ... provide as much potential for misunderstandings and motivated reasoning as the GPL. Fingers crossed!

Motiva.... ahem. Sorry. I call it a storm in a teacup, personally I'm really surprised people have gone off their rockers over the whole thing, but it's happened. We've lost someone who was a good contributor to the forums, and we've learned that some people, though great contributors also happen to be "human".

I'll stay out of the whole thing, though I still felt that senior members who have such a reputation in the forums should seriously and utterly have known better. If I hadn't been in this country, I would seriously have thought of banging heads together to see if any sense had remained in there.

(05-17-2018 11:34 PM)smp Wrote:  I'm with you, Tom! My fingers are also crossed.

Thank you very much for all your effort and devotion to an excellent product.

smp

I would also like to thank Tom for his input to the community at large.

(Post 223)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
05-18-2018, 08:34 AM
(05-18-2018 05:58 AM)brickviking Wrote:  
(05-17-2018 10:30 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  ... provide as much potential for misunderstandings and motivated reasoning as the GPL. Fingers crossed!

Motiva.... ahem. Sorry. I call it a storm in a teacup, personally I'm really surprised people have gone off their rockers over the whole thing, but it's happened. We've lost someone who was a good contributor to the forums, and we've learned that some people, though great contributors also happen to be "human".

I'll stay out of the whole thing, though I still felt that senior members who have such a reputation in the forums should seriously and utterly have known better. If I hadn't been in this country, I would seriously have thought of banging heads together to see if any sense had remained in there.

That's a funny way of "staying out of the whole thing."
05-18-2018, 01:05 PM
I thought we had a culture against piracy. At least, no one would post copyrighted material, and the name of TOS is banned. But then, all of a sudden, a small company appears, using HP firmware at will and violation the GPL, and (nearly) everyone finds that ok. Dave even addressed some harsh words towards Thomas. And the only way to deal with this is banning and the removal of posts? Seriously?
05-18-2018, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2018 01:22 PM by Logan.)
(05-18-2018 01:05 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  I thought we had a culture against piracy. At least, no one would post copyrighted material, and the name of TOS is banned. But then, all of a sudden, a small company appears, using HP firmware at will and violation the GPL, and (nearly) everyone finds that ok. Dave even addressed some harsh words towards Thomas. And the only way to deal with this is banning and the removal of posts? Seriously?

I think nearly everything that could be said on this topic, has been said. But apparently not everyone has said it yet Smile
05-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Locking this thread. Please refrain from poking at this topic again and again.

We have had relative peace in this forum for perhaps a week. We would like it to continue.

Please stop.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)