HP41CL newbie question
03-19-2018, 07:51 PM
RE: HP41CL newbie question
(03-19-2018 04:45 PM)smp Wrote:  Are instructions posted anywhere for "switching to YFNX and PRWX"?

I purchased my V4 board back in 2016, and I've been keeping my ROMs up to date with the process that Angel & Monte posted last year.

I posted a link above for the YFNX manual. YFNX provides an updated and enhanced set of commands that replace those in YFNP (the default CL function set). It provides the same capabilities, plus more and with more flexibility than the default commands. An example is with YFNP, you 'plug-in' ROMs by port number (e.g. 1U or 3L) while YFNX uses the actual page address (e.g. Page 8 (1L) or Page F (4U) ).

PWRX is Angel's set of "Power Utilities" matched with YFNX (manual is here). This is installed just like any other ROM; for example to plug it into Page 8 (aka 1U) you XEQ 'PLUG' which then prompts for the module name, so type 'PWRX', then it prompts for the page so enter '8' and then it's loaded (you can verify with CAT 2).

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2018, 08:01 PM
(03-19-2018 06:03 PM)Neve Wrote:  Thank you Sylvain. Greatly appreciated.
If I do a MMUCLR after the MMUDIS, won’t I have to replug all the other modules I have from scratch?

Yes, but that is partly his point - to clear any incorrectly installed (or no longer needed) ROMs.

I think you still have the CL Utils ROM (that matches with YFNP) installed, which is no longer needed since you now have the PWRX ROM.

If you find it's in port 9 (for example) you can easily remove it with:

XEQ 'PLUG', then when it prompts for ROM name, reply with 'EMPT' then when it prompts for the port number reply with 9. This is a convenient shorthand for EMPTY port 9.

If you are used to the port numbering, here is the port/page map

1L 8
1U 9
2L A
2U B
3L C
3U D
4L E
4U F

Ports lower than 8 have restrictions and require knowledge of internals so stay away from those for a while.

--Bob Prosperi
03-19-2018, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 09:22 PM by Ángel Martin.)
Ok, this may go deeper than anticipated... too many variables all at once!

If you have already used the CLUPDATE process and are comfortable with the way it works (using Sylvain tool) then the easiest approach will be to wait until Monte has added the patched ROMs into the complete package and has made the updates to the IMDB and FLDB.

Once that's done you can follow the automated process, and it\ll all be updated as needed.

Otherwise there's the chance to do a punctual update of just these two - understanding you won't use them simultaneously, it's an either/or choice:

YFNP with Power_CL

or

YFNX with PowerCl_Extreme

If you want to try the punctual update then you'll need to use the CLUPDATE in a less automated way. I'm not the best person to provide guidance for that since I always use the CLWRITER DOS utility...

Hope this helps, it's a bit daunting at first but once you get the knack of things it becomes crystal clear.
03-19-2018, 09:42 PM
(03-19-2018 09:20 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Ok, this may go deeper than anticipated... too many variables all at once!

If you have already used the CLUPDATE process and are comfortable with the way it works (using Sylvain tool) then the easiest approach will be to wait until Monte has added the patched ROMs into the complete package and has made the updates to the IMDB and FLDB.

Once that's done you can follow the automated process, and it\ll all be updated as needed.

Otherwise there's the chance to do a punctual update of just these two - understanding you won't use them simultaneously, it's an either/or choice:

YFNP with Power_CL

or

YFNX with PowerCl_Extreme

If you want to try the punctual update then you'll need to use the CLUPDATE in a less automated way. I'm not the best person to provide guidance for that since I always use the CLWRITER DOS utility...

Hope this helps, it's a bit daunting at first but once you get the knack of things it becomes crystal clear.

As always, thank you for you valuable input and patience.
I am confortable with clupdate.
So I’ll either wait for the complete package to be added by Monte, or I’ll wait for Sylvain to write a little guide when he’ll be available.

Regards

Engineer & Senior IT Executive
2x HP41CL, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP50g, 2x82162A Printer, 2x82143A Printer, 2x HP-IL, 2x Card-Readers, PIL-BOX.
03-19-2018, 11:23 PM
(03-19-2018 09:42 PM)Neve Wrote:  As always, thank you for you valuable input and patience.
I am confortable with clupdate.
So I’ll either wait for the complete package to be added by Monte, or I’ll wait for Sylvain to write a little guide when he’ll be available.

Amen! Thanks so much to all you folks who jump in and assist, time after time.

I, too, am comfortable with using the clupdate process, so I'll wait for the complete package to be updated by Monte.

Thanks!

smp
03-20-2018, 01:17 PM
(03-19-2018 05:26 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 01:10 PM)Neve Wrote:  Once again, I have no idea how to update individual images. I don’t want to mess things up.
I will write you a small how-to when I am back home tonight. [GMT-4h]
Neve,
I came home late last night and did not have the time to finish and test the procedure, I should be able to finish it tonight.
Sorry about that.
Sylvain
03-20-2018, 01:36 PM
(03-20-2018 01:17 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 05:26 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I will write you a small how-to when I am back home tonight. [GMT-4h]
Neve,
I came home late last night and did not have the time to finish and test the procedure, I should be able to finish it tonight.
Sorry about that.
Sylvain

Sylvain,

No problem. That’s ok.
It’s aleardy very nice of you to offer to do it.

Take your time.

Regards,

Neve

2x HP41CL, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP50g, 2x82162A Printer, 2x82143A Printer, 2x HP-IL, 2x Card-Readers, PIL-BOX.
03-21-2018, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2018 01:12 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Neve,

There is two possibility here ...

The first solution involve copying the ROM image(s) into 41CL RAM, then map the RAM image to a virtual port.
This solution is very easy to do and it is an ideal way to use a new ROMs while waiting for Monte to update his standard distribution file.

The second solution involve copying the ROM image(s) into 41CL Flash and manually update FLDB ROM image.
This solution is a lot longer to do, need more manipulation to complete, but has the benefit to be permanent.

I am assuming that you will update your 41CL with Monte updated package when available, so I will show the first solution for now.

In order to do this procedure, you need the following:
  1. A 41CL calculator
  2. The clupdate-1.1.0.jar java program
  3. Your updated ROM files in the same folder as the clupdate program
For this procedure, I assume that you have a v3+ board where we will load the PWREXT/4LIB/YFNX configuration.

Here we go ...
  1. Configuration Section
    1. Plug the serial cable into your 41CL and to your computer
      Note: it's important to do this at the beginning because the MMU often disable itself when the serial plug is either inserted or removed
    2. Start a terminal/shell/command line window on your computer and go to where the clupdate-1.1.0.jar is located
    3. Load MMU with a basic configuration
      Code:
      MMUDIS              // disable 41CL memory management unit
      MMUCLR              // OPTIONAL: clear 41CL memory management unit configuration
      "YFNX"              // enter in ALPHA the 41CL Extreme Functions rom image ID
      PLUG1L              // map YFNX ROM image to page 8
      MMUEN               // enable 41CL memory management unit
      Note: you can replace the page (8) I have chosen by the one you want
    4. Configure serial port
      Code:
      SERINI              // initialize the serial port
      BAUD then 48        // set communication speed to 4800 bauds
  2. File download section
    1. Here we will download the updated PWREXT1.ROM file from your PC to a RAM page (0x820) of your 41CL.
    2. On your 41CL, type:
      Code:
      "820000-0FFF"       // physical destination address 0x820000 and length 0x0FFF in RAM where the ROM image will be loaded
      [XEQ][ALPHA]YIMP    // here we need to prepare the next function by pressing [XEQ] [ALPHA] [Y] [I] [M] [P]
      Note: not finishing the XEQ request keeps the 41CL in waiting mode and this is what we want for now
    3. On your computer, type:
      Code:
      java -jar clupdate-1.1.0.jar --upload PWREXT1.ROM SERIAL_PORT 4800 [RETURN]
      Note: replace the SERIAL_PORT tag by your actual serial port. (ex: Windows: COM3, Linux: /dev/ttyUSB0, macOS: /dev/tty.usbserial)
    4. When you see the following lines on your computer:
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS --upload   [fileName: PWREXT1.ROM] [portName: SERIAL_PORT] [baudRate: 4800]
      HH:MM:SS File       PWREXT1.ROM loading ...  done [YCRC=0x0370601B Rev:2018-03-12]
      HH:MM:SS Serial     SERIAL_PORT opened.
      HH:MM:SS Sleeping   5 seconds before starting file transfer
      Note: file upload will automatically start after 5 seconds
    5. On your 41CL and within the 5 seconds allowed, type:
      Code:
      [ALPHA]             //  start the file download
      Note: you should see "RECEIVING" on your 41CL then your standard screen when finished. (ex.: 0.0000)
    6. Now, we need to validate the downloaded file by typing the following on your 41CL:
      Code:
      "820"               // RAM page 0x820000
      YCRC                // validates ROM image
      Note: you should see 0370601B after a while, if not, then something went wrong in one of the step above
  3. ROM image mapping section
    1. Because we will do a hybrid ROM/RAM configuration we will use YPOKE function to do the mapping.
      Note: read Memory Management section (p.67..72) of the 41CL manual (sy41cl.pdf) to better understand the MMU mapping
    2. Load Library-4 [Flash image]
      Code:
      “804040-8120”       // load LIB4 at Flash address 0x120 [8120] to page 4 bank 1 [804040]
      YPOKE               // activate mapping
    3. Load PowerCL Extreme, Bank 1 [updated RAM image]
      Code:
      “804090-8820”       // load PWREXT1 at RAM address 0x820 [8820] to page 9 bank 1 [804090]
    4. Load PowerCL Extreme, Bank 2 [Flash image]
      Code:
      “804098-8181”       // load PWREXT2 at Flash address 0x181 [8181] to page 9 bank 2 [804098]
    5. Load PowerCL Extreme, Bank 3 [Flash image]
      Code:
      “804094-8182”       // load PWREXT3 at Flash address 0x182 [8182] to page 9 bank 3 [804094]
    6. Load PowerCL Extreme, Bank 4 [Flash image]
      Code:
      “80409C-8183"       // load PWREXT4 at Flash address 0x183 [8183] to page 9 bank 4 [80409C]
    7. Validate the mapping by typing:
      Code:
      CAT then 2          // you should see "-PWRCL EXT" label if you have done it correctly

That's All Folks! Easy isn't it? ;-)

Sylvain

Edit: typos
03-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Thank you Sylvain!!!

Regards.

Neve

03-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Sylvain is a beast!
03-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Sylvain's procedure can be a little simpler. Replace section C, steps 2-6 with:

PLUG then 4LIB 4

PLUG then PWRX 9

"804090-8820" then YPOKE

but the updated images are in the rom_files_180322.zip files on the CL website,
for use with clupdate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-23-2018, 12:36 AM
(03-23-2018 12:03 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  Sylvain's procedure can be a little simpler. Replace section C, steps 2-6 with:

PLUG then 4LIB 4

PLUG then PWRX 9

"804090-8820" then YPOKE

but the updated images are in the rom_files_180322.zip files on the CL website,
for use with clupdate.

Thank you Monte!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)