Raspberry Pi inside NumWorks calculator
02-27-2018, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2018 03:28 PM by compsystems.)
Raspberry Pi inside NumWorks calculator
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21098
https://zardam.github.io/post/raspberrypi-numworks/

The calculator of the future, it has to be something like this
[Image: nw_pi2.jpg]
a calculator with ports to carry out all kinds of computer and electronic projects.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2018, 02:57 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi inside NumWorks calculator
If everything was running on the Raspberry Pi, you wouldn't need to wait for it to boot up.
You'd also have to modify the bootup, eliminating the Linux self-test text to make the boot process faster.

Still, that's a nice mod.
02-28-2018, 03:11 AM
My initial reaction was 'wow, what a waste of a lot of clever effort', but then it got down to the real heart of the device....

So cool... pocket DOOM... well, that's one killer app on a calculator that HP still has not delivered...

--Bob Prosperi
02-28-2018, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2018 05:28 PM by BobVA.)
That's one way to get Mathematica.
03-04-2018, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 08:52 PM by compsystems.)
[Image: Mathematica_on_a_mobile_device_numWorks_...mage00.png]

Mathematica on a mobile device (calculator) A great project together would be to create our own hardware with RBπ + LCD + keyboard.

Something similar to AriCalculator

Home Page
http://hotwolf.github.io/AriCalculator/
Forum
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7773.html

[Image: AriCalculatorBlack.jpg]

[Image: AriCalculatorsBwBack.jpg]

[Image: AriCalculatorRevCSide.png]

Another good community project can be a rasbcalc, something similar to raspad

[Image: 468fef79545bfb29fc6ae21f1dab5565_origina...126d3a2259]

https://raspad.sunfounder.com/

https://www.xataka.com/analisis/raspad-a...quier-lado
04-28-2018, 05:15 AM
(03-04-2018 03:28 PM)compsystems Wrote:  A great project together would be to create our own hardware with RBπ + LCD + keyboard.

Something similar to AriCalculator

If anyone is interested in helping develop the firmware for the AriCalculator project, please let me know.
04-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Here is my poor man's attempt at a Raspberry Pi calculator. Off the shelf components only - Raspberry Pi screen touchscreen, rechargeable USB power module, USB numeric keypad - running Mathematica (which comes for free with Raspberry Pi linux).

[Image: AndyHardwareCalc2018.jpg?raw=1]

I can also run Jupyter Notebooks with the full power of Python, R, Julia or Scala. Comes with Wifi and thus internet access. Uses bluetooth to allow an external keyboard and mouse to be used (not pictured), so not really a calculator I suppose.

Am thinking of swapping out the numeric keypad with a tiny qwerty + mouse bluetooth keyboard, making it totally self contained. I can then get flatter usb cables and keep the usb wiring inside the case. Oh yes, obviously a better case, too but I will keep the usb ports exposed.

Yes its not a serious project, so please don't scold me. I just wanted to see how far I could get plugging together standard USB components with no special software or electrical wiring whatsoever. :-)
11-10-2018, 12:58 PM
I finally got my mini wifi keyboard/mouse delivered from ebay and, with the help of some cardboard and zip ties, a rechargable battery, raspberry pi 3 + 2.8" lcd touchscreen (though other sizes are possible), reconfigured my raspberry pi modular calculator. Now its fully self contained - my previous version required an external mouse and keyboard - no longer. Keyboard is Approx. 14.5 * 9.5 * 2 cm / 5.7 * 3.7 * 0.79 inch. You can run Mathematica for free or Jupyter notebooks (Python math and graphs), also free.

Not as slim as a DM42 or HP Prime, but super powerful and has internet access and the infinite world of usb connectivity. Again, the aim is to build a "calculator" with off the shelf parts only. The current design has a "detachable" keyboard, which is quite nice actually, if you want to detach it.

[Image: AndyHardwareCalc2018_v2_8230.jpeg?raw=1]

[Image: AndyHardwareCalc2018_v2_8231.jpeg?raw=1]

[Image: AndyHardwareCalc2018_v2_8232.jpeg?raw=1]

[Image: AndyHardwareCalc2018_v2_8233.jpeg?raw=1]

Next version of this project might use the pijuice battery hat and a larger display. Gotta get it cleaner and slimmer and into a nice case + helpful hotkeys/Fn keys and software.
11-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Looks great! But I have to ask: what's it like running Mathematica on such a small display (and keyboard, although I expect that's less of a problem)?

Nigel (UK)
11-11-2018, 12:23 PM
The screen, yes it is small. There is a %zoom feature in the bottom right of the Mathematica screen which helps to adjust it to taste. I’m going to fit a 4" screen with capacitive touch next, which I think will work better.

I’m not a Mathematica expert so I just mainly copy in examples from the web so far. But it is serviceable, and at least it’s larger than a calculator display? I’d probably want to run the Jupiter numeric notebooks instead, and type in my Python. :-) But haven’t done that yet.

Keyboard wise, I find it easier to use a proper Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, to be honest. Any suggestions of better mini keyboards for this "project" would be appreciated.
11-11-2018, 11:52 PM
How did you find the little eDust keyboard though? Was it at least usable? I noticed one that was backlit on Google, I can't imagine that being very battery-friendly.

(Post 317)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2018, 07:41 AM
(11-11-2018 11:52 PM)brickviking Wrote:  How did you find the little eDust keyboard though? Was it at least usable? I noticed one that was backlit on Google, I can't imagine that being very battery-friendly.

Mine doesn't seem to be called eDust just "mini keyboard". It has semi-hard clicky keys with a rubberised top. Feels like clicking on the DM42. Has all the characters one would want. Best held in the hand, needs rubberised feet for desktop use, which could easily be added. No back-lighting. Battery life on 2xAAA unknown at this point, you can get rechargeable lithium models just as cheaply.

I'd like something more luxurious, I don't like pressing too hard when typing!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)