Multi-letter variables in RPN
02-24-2018, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 05:55 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
Multi-letter variables in RPN
How on earth do I store a number in a user variable called 'ME' without the calculator immediately giving me M*E? The user guide is utterly useless and gives no clues despite having a WHOLE chapter devoted to RPN entry.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2018, 07:58 PM
RE: Muti-letter variables in RPN
After digging and experimenting, this is how I store a variable

1. Type in the variable name without the tick marks
  2. Press ENTER
  3. Type in the number you want to store
  4. Press ENTER
  5. Enter the variable name with the tick marks
  6. Press ENTER
  7. Execute the STO command

It's very inefficient but it works. So for your example if you wanted to store π^2 in the variable ME, press...

[ALPHA] [ALPHA] ME [ENTER] OK (confirm creating the variable with the ok soft key) [Shift] π [x^2] [Shift] [ ' ] [ALPHA] [ALPHA] ME [ENTER] [Shift] [Sto->]

If the variable already exists and you want to store a new number in it, skip step 1 and 2.

I hope somebody knows of a more efficient process. This is the process Joe Horn said to use back in 2014.
02-25-2018, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 05:55 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
RE: Multi-letter variables in RPN
(02-24-2018 07:58 PM)Carsen Wrote:  After digging and experimenting, this is how I store a variable

Thanks so much. They really need to improve the manual for RPN users.

I miss the elegance of the 28/48 way already. The Prime is too schizophrenic for me. But I'll keep using it for next month and see how useful I can make it.
02-25-2018, 10:53 AM
My opinion on RPN and Prime is, leave it. I once bought the prime when I read it had PRN and, to tell the truth, I never really used it. I recently bought a 50G, it now is sitting in a drawer. I mostly use the Prime's CAS (Home only for number crunching) because of its capabilities and not to forget its speed, and I really like the touch screen. I think it is the best calculator I ever owned (that are a lot beginning in the late seventieth).
Arno
02-25-2018, 02:15 PM
I also have an hp50g sitting in a drawer now, which hasn't been used since at least 2013. I have never used rpn mode on the hp prime. If rpn mode was eliminated from the prime, I wouldn't miss it. I use the prime almost every day, and before the prime, I've used several models of hp rpn calcs over the years. It took a little while to get over the rpn thing, but I don't even think it any more. It would be a little awkward to go back to the 50g now.

Considering the market objectives, to make a case for retaining rpn mode on the hp prime, (or any future generations), what value added justification can be made?
02-25-2018, 08:31 PM
(02-25-2018 01:14 AM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  I miss the elegance of the 28/48 way already. The Prime is too schizophrenic for me. But I'll keep using it for next month and see how useful I can make it.

I agree with you Graham. I definitely favor the 48 series over the Prime. The soft menus and the RPL worked in perfect harmony.

I have a HP Prime but it just sits in the drawer now. The menu system is what I really dislike about the Prime. My primary graphing calculator is the HP 50g and I enjoy using it above the Prime. And when my 50g dies, I'll just use my spare brand new 50g. I'm set for quite awhile. All I got to do is find myself a HP 48GX and compare that to the Prime and 50g.
02-26-2018, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 10:13 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
(02-25-2018 10:53 AM)Arno K Wrote:  My opinion on RPN and Prime is, leave it.

Thanks Arno. I am tempted to dump RPN, but only for a millisecond because RPN is so useful for number crunching and chain calculations. For these operations in the examples I've tried, there are more keypresses for Textbook & Algebraic entry compared to RPN. So I'll soldier on with RPN in Home and Textbook in CAS.

(02-25-2018 08:31 PM)Carsen Wrote:  I definitely favor the 48 series over the Prime. The soft menus and the RPL worked in perfect harmony. I have a HP Prime but it just sits in the drawer now. The menu system is what I really dislike about the Prime. My primary graphing calculator is the HP 50g and I enjoy using it above the Prime. And when my 50g dies, I'll just use my spare brand new 50g. I'm set for quite awhile. All I got to do is find myself a HP 48GX and compare that to the Prime and 50g.

Thanks Carsen. The most elegant HP calculator with the nicest keypresses that I own IMO is the 28S. It has a clean layout which I like, which is part of the attraction of the Prime for me. The only thing I don't like about the 28S is it doesn't have digit grouping like the 48/49/50. I also own the 48GX and like it very much, but find the keyboard fussy. But for graphing, I think the 50g is the way to go in that series. I don't own a 50g but from everything I've read, it is the most capable at graphing of the RPL series of calculators.

But I'm very impressed by the Prime's solving and graphing abilities, and will keep practising and experimenting with these. I can't give up RPN. I'd rather use the new DM42 / Free 42 on my iPhone and CAS on the Prime than be forced to use algebraic entry for chain calculations on the Prime.

I love the recursive and elegant nature of the RPL language, but agree with some comments that the newer language is better for students, and easier to maintain.
02-26-2018, 08:50 PM
(02-26-2018 09:50 AM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  Thanks Arno. I am tempted to dump RPN, but only for a millisecond because RPN is so useful for number crunching and chain calculations. For these operations in the examples I've tried, there are more keypresses for Textbook & Algebraic entry compared to RPN. So I'll soldier on with RPN in Home and Textbook in CAS.

Thanks Carsen. The most elegant HP calculator with the nicest keypresses that I own IMO is the 28S.

I view the Prime as two calculators in one. I see the CAS View as a mini version of Maple or Mathmatica and I see the HOME View as a scientific RPN calculator. I do most of my symbolic work in the CAS view (although sometimes I'll compute an indefinite integral in RPN). Anything else, I use in the HOME View (definite integrals, solve, etc.)

Huh, I guess I'll have to try the 28S. To be honest, I dismissed it because it was a fold up machine but your (Graham's) review on the calc has sparked my interest a little.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)