Where may I find specs of the Woodstock CPU
02-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Where may I find specs of the Woodstock CPU
For the CPU (more precise: the OP codes) of the classics there are detailed US Patents, for the Nut CPU there is the ZenROM Manual and the NOMAS-stamped papers PPC distributed long time ago -- but for the Woodstock CPU I find nothing even I looked here and there now for several days. The comments in the source code of Eric's Nonpareil helps a bit, yes, but if there exists something comparable as for the Nut CPU I'd be very happy.

Please point me to the promising direction. I have the impression, what I can't find with Bing or similar is lost, gone, does not exist any more.

Ciao.....Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2018, 05:26 PM
RE: Where may I find specs of the Woodstock CPU
(02-04-2018 03:46 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  For the CPU (more precise: the OP codes) of the classics there are detailed US Patents, for the Nut CPU there is the ZenROM Manual and the NOMAS-stamped papers PPC distributed long time ago -- but for the Woodstock CPU I find nothing even I looked here and there now for several days. The comments in the source code of Eric's Nonpareil helps a bit, yes, but if there exists something comparable as for the Nut CPU I'd be very happy.

Please point me to the promising direction. I have the impression, what I can't find with Bing or similar is lost, gone, does not exist any more.

Ciao.....Mike

See the file "HP25/HP29C/HP-34C/HP67 Program Codes" on Panamatik's download page.

I'm not sure it's exactly what you are looking for, but it's a start at least.

--Bob Prosperi
02-04-2018, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 05:49 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
Two links you may already know :

You may also check the serie of articles from Tom Napier: An HP-67 Anatomy Lesson. (PPC Journal, V5N7Pp7-8, V5N8Pp.14 -17, V5N9Pp6-7, V5N10Pp.25-27.)
02-04-2018, 05:55 PM
(02-04-2018 05:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  See the file "HP25/HP29C/HP-34C/HP67 Program Codes" on Panamatik's download page.

Thank you, but - alas, this are the "hex tables" of the programmable calculators, the representation of the program steps as bytes in storage. I am hounting for a description of the CPU instruction set like this one for the HP-45, p. 39 ff

Bernhard offers several Woodstock ROM listings, it helps to see similarities and differences to the Classics, but of cause I'd prefere a comprehensible spec. I could not find it in the patents Eric lists.

Ciao.....Mike
02-04-2018, 06:05 PM
(02-04-2018 05:46 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Two links you may already know :

Yes, thank you anyway, both links are related to the Classics CPU, Woodstock is very similar but who once said "vive la différence!" - ?

Quote:You may also check the serie of articles from Tom Napier: An HP-67 Anatomy Lesson. (PPC Journal, V5N7Pp7-8, V5N8Pp.14 -17, V5N9Pp6-7, V5N10Pp.25-27.)

Thank you for this hint, are the PPC Journals somewhere online or do I have to dig in the cellar...

Ciao.....Mike
02-04-2018, 07:28 PM
You should be able to find them on TOS.
02-04-2018, 09:37 PM
(02-04-2018 07:28 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  You should be able to find them on TOS.
That's it! I looked on TOS' DVD, nonono.., PPC Journals only online available. From hp41-dot-org/Archive.cfm:
Quote:First Torrent Release - May 25, 2016 - Contains everything on this site as of this date except for the archives from the PPC and HPCC DataFile which may be purchased on CD from Jake Schwartz - ...

Anyway, the article from Tom Napier, 'An HP-67 Anatomy Lesson' published in four parts (PPC Journal, V5N7Pp7-8, V5N8Pp.14 -17, V5N9Pp6-7, V5N10Pp.25-27.) -- a nice go out and explore story. And... I am looking for Woodstock's CPU specs, is the HP-67 a Woodstock or a Classic? Smile

Ciao.....Mike
02-04-2018, 09:41 PM
(02-04-2018 09:37 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  is the HP-67 a Woodstock or a Classic? Smile

A woodstock.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2018, 09:50 PM
A Woodstock, aha, ... and in contrast the HP-65 is a Classic. Day by day I learn something new. Old sayings for example: never judge a book by its cover. Wink

Ciao.....Mike

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)