Deleted thread?
03-31-2014, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 01:52 AM by Manolo Sobrino.)
Deleted thread?
So say Tim writes a really long and very interesting and informative post that everybody should read carefully around some quotes of mine, then I spend a couple of hours writing up a detailed answer. I agree with mostly everything he tells us, wish him all the best, everything is fine and dandy... an then the whole thread is gone. What's the problem? I don't understand... If there was something wrong I would happily have toned it down, but I think that people should really be able to read that piece of information coming from a current HP design team member.

Is it gone for ever? (I keep a copy of the whole page 2 via firefox back button, but that's not the idea)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: Deleted thread?
I read Tim's long post and your long reply and thought it was a great discussion. Not sure why it dissapeared???
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2014, 06:43 AM
Looks like then forum has been moderated.
Heating Water produces vapor, heating Walter doesn't produce anything good...
03-31-2014, 07:45 AM
(03-31-2014 06:43 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  Looks like then forum has been moderated.

I sincerely hope that's not the case. I can understand moderating one or several posts... (yet name calling wasn't) but deleting a whole thread when you have the option of moving it elsewhere, that would be disappointing.

Too bad, because I think that was a kind of Game of Thrones season finale of Prime threads. Tim's post was just spectacular: you might have learnt a lot of things about why the Prime is like it is and where it is going. As in game changer things.

If that was not a good thing for this forum, then I don't know what it is. If it felt through the cracks of the forum software, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one unhappy with having lost my time and it should resurface if that's possible. If it didn't, well then everybody should be unhappy about it and I guess that there is no point in saying anything more.

Except this: Tim is a great guy doing a real job in the real world.
03-31-2014, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 08:27 AM by jebem.)
The missing thread title was something like "I use both HP-Prime and WP-34S" and I had post a few comments there as well.
I saw nothing offensive there, and if it was deliberated removed it should have been issued a warning or something.
So I believe it was a "act of God"...

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-31-2014, 08:37 AM
(03-31-2014 07:45 AM)Manolo Sobrino Wrote:  Tim's post was just spectacular: you might have learnt a lot of things about why the Prime is like it is and where it is going.
Missed it :-(. Please resurrect at least this post.
03-31-2014, 09:08 AM

Monsieur,

Please explain. AFAI have read, there wasn't anything in said thread that wasn't appropriate for said forum IMHO. And although I posted there, my posts weren't the last ones by far. Thus your statement is absolutely unclear to me. (BTW, I saw a thread disappearing only once so far, and that was due to Franz ...)

d:-?
03-31-2014, 10:17 AM
(03-31-2014 09:08 AM)walter b Wrote:  

Monsieur,

Please explain. AFAI have read, there wasn't anything in said thread that wasn't appropriate for said forum IMHO. And although I posted there, my posts weren't the last ones by far. Thus your statement is absolutely unclear to me. (BTW, I saw a thread disappearing only once so far, and that was due to Franz ...)

d:-?
Hi Walter, I will PM you.
03-31-2014, 11:09 AM
That's the last time I post any quotes from Hulk Hogan on a thread.

On to hopefully more constructive discussions in the HP Prime forum.

Best
Carl
03-31-2014, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 11:59 AM by Katie Wasserman.)
Quote:Looks like then forum has been moderated.

Not by me, nor can I see the history of this thread. Perhaps Dave can shed some light on this.

-katie

03-31-2014, 01:33 PM
If I had to guess I would say Tim was a little bit too forthcoming and they had to pretend he never said that Wink

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
03-31-2014, 02:08 PM
(03-31-2014 01:33 PM)HP67 Wrote:  If I had to guess I would say Tim was a little bit too forthcoming and they had to pretend he never said that Wink

(02-25-2014 10:14 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  Users generally can't delete threads, and deleting the first post of a thread implies deleting the whole thread. Currently users can delete their other posts - as long as it doesn't get out of hand. We've have complaints on the old forum about people deleting too many posts and messing up threads. If that happens, we might only allow edits. (You could still edit your post down to nothing but people can still see that something was there which is often essential for placing the following posts in some context.)

I don't see a reason to remove a whole thread instead of just a post.
03-31-2014, 02:25 PM
Quote: Users generally can't delete threads, and deleting the first post of a thread implies deleting the whole thread.

This appears to be exactly what happened, Tim deleted the first post in the thread he started.

-katie

03-31-2014, 02:42 PM
(03-31-2014 02:25 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  
Quote: Users generally can't delete threads, and deleting the first post of a thread implies deleting the whole thread.

This appears to be exactly what happened, Tim deleted the first post in the thread he started.

The thread was started by Sikuq. He was online at 03:15. This thread was started at 03:38. Tim Wesmann was online at 05:07 and Dave Hicks at 08:15. (This is all my local time and you may see something different.)

Cheers
Thomas
03-31-2014, 02:47 PM
(03-31-2014 02:25 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  

I don't think this was the case. I didn't start the thread, so I don't think I would have been able to delete it. Unless I received magic moderator status at some point of which I am unaware...

I also didn't think anything I wrote was all that game shattering. Basically, I just explained some technical thinking and reasoning between the possible choices when presented with some of the problems we had in the Prime development.

If I was somehow able to delete the whole thread that I did not start then something else funny is going on here. I assume whomever created the first post must have deleted it. I definitely was not that person.

Manolo, do you have my original post? I have your response you sent me which contains a lot of it, but there are definitely some quoted paragraphs missing.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-31-2014, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 02:52 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
Ah, I see the reason now. Tim is a moderator for the Prime Forum so he can deleted threads that are not his own. I didn't realize that Tim was a moderator for the Prime Forum.

TW, Dave must have made you a moderator at some point.

-katie

03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
(03-31-2014 02:47 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I also didn't think anything I wrote was all that game shattering. Basically, I just explained some technical thinking and reasoning between the possible choices when presented with some of the problems we had in the Prime development.

Well, it was for me! It made me basically (almost Big Grin) change my mind about it.

(03-31-2014 02:47 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Manolo, do you have my original post? I have your response you sent me which contains a lot of it, but there are definitely some quoted paragraphs missing.

PM sent!
03-31-2014, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 04:17 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(03-31-2014 02:51 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Ah, I see the reason now. Tim is a moderator for the Prime Forum so he can deleted threads that are not his own. I didn't realize that Tim was a moderator for the Prime Forum.

TW, Dave must have made you a moderator at some point.

Hmm, me either. In fact, I am not seeing moderator type options anywhere.

If he has done so, I assume it was for a good reason. The only instance in which I would use that though would be to move a post to a correct spot if it was misplaced. If it turns out that I was responsible for that deletion then I will need to be more certain not to ever click on anything by accident.

Note that the original post was in the "not quite HP calc..." forum and not the Prime one, so I'm not sure what level of permission control has been implemented.

TW

03-31-2014, 04:31 PM
(03-31-2014 02:51 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Tim is a moderator for the Prime Forum so he can deleted threads that are not his own. I didn't realize that Tim was a moderator for the Prime Forum.

That thread has been in forum-8. It was started by Sikuq. This case shows there's obviously something wrong in user rights management or even roles management. Sad
Hope at least Dave can restore that thread. Asking for some "drakonic" measures Wink

d:-I
03-31-2014, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 04:49 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Quote:PM sent!

So in case the thread can't be restored and is gone for good, at least most of the last page of discussion can be put back. We'll wait for Dave to shed some light if possible and then create a new one with some of the missing info if needed.

TW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)