Is the Prime the fastest calculator ever made?
12-20-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: Is the Prime the fastest calculator ever made?
(12-20-2017 05:06 AM)zeno333 Wrote:  ...if not, what would be faster..(I refer to raw number crunching...)

The next calculator made will be the fastest ever made. Every new product will likely be faster than previous generations.

(12-20-2017 06:10 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  In raw number crunching, discarding user program management (such as when you do a large amtrix multiplication or inversion), it probably is the fastest.
Cyrille

I doubt it. The Cortex M4 in the Numworks has an FPU, so if raw number crunching is the measurement, I don't think the Prime can even get close.

(12-20-2017 06:51 AM)pier4r Wrote:  But the point is usability in a calculator, if a calculator is super fast but does only the four operations it does not help much.

I agree, the question "is the fastest ever made?" should be answered with a "who cares?".

(12-20-2017 02:37 PM)compsystems Wrote:  A comparison

https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php...39#p224539

Python is probably a slower interpreter than PPL, the Cortex M4 is probably more than twice as fast (at same clock) than the ARM9 in the Prime, without even counting the FPU, so that difference from 100 MHz to 400 MHz doesn't mean much these days. If the code takes advantage of the FPU, it's game over for the Prime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Prime the fastest calculator ever made? - Claudio L. - 12-20-2017 03:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)