Most common calculators in the forum?
05-22-2018, 09:18 AM
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
(05-22-2018 07:36 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(05-22-2018 03:12 AM)brickviking Wrote:  Ah, okay. The 10s and s+ have several keys swapped around from the FX-82/85MS layout; arrow keys match the 48-family more closely; the x^3, a/b/c, square root and some other keys moved around, so there must have been some work done on the keyboard matrix at least for HP.

They will have got Casio to make a few alterations to the ROM.

But here's one change they didn't get Casio to make (very likely an oversight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F873-zbyM8

Here's a weird thing. Multiple people indicate that they have that contrast setting on their calculator; either it's hidden (but is working), or it shows up and is working. My FX-82MS doesn't show that contrast setting, nor does hitting the "2" key at the right place trigger a setting for contrast. I'm not sure if they customise them by country. I couldn't exactly say what date I bought it either, just that it was several years after I'd got my 82-TL. The date code on my circuit board says 02094, the main board identifier reads GY313-1, so I'm guessing it's the first revision. Another identifier on the board: HA210314A-2.

Hardware hacking the calculator? Hm. There's four places to put more capacitors, but no capacitors in those positions nor (mostly) lands to solder them to.

At least this post should probably have been in "Not Remotely HP", due to its drift from the original subject of "most common calculator". Let's get it somewhat back on track.

Currently in NZ, the most common calculator in a kid's home will either be some variant of FX-82 such as the ES Plus, AU Plus or descendants thereof, or if they're in the last years of their schooling, it would be the 9750gII. After they finish school, you can often find their calculators on Trademe (a NZ-based auction site) for much less than the new calculator was originally bought for. I picked up my gII in just this way, as I really really didn't want to pay the new price of $154.95 (NZ dollars).

(Post 230)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - brickviking - 05-22-2018 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)