Most common calculators in the forum?
12-13-2017, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2017 06:09 PM by aurelio.)
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
(11-29-2017 11:46 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 10:55 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I'm not surprised to see the 41 high in the popularity ranking. When it was introduced in 1979, it instantly made all previous programmable calculators obsolete. The HP/TI rivalry ended in an instant and never really returned. And finally, by the time the 41 was superseded by the RPL calculators, PCs had become so cheap that they destroyed the largest market segment for programmable calculators, namely, people who needed something programmable but couldn't afford a computer.

That's how I remember it, anyway. Even though the 48 series were incredibly impressive machines, they never generated the kind of excitement that the 41 had.
You got it right Thomas.
The things that set apart the HP-41 was that is was a system, like Richard Nelson love to say.
You could add modules, peripherals, etc.
You could used it as a calculator, as a controller of electronic equipments, as a data collector in a surveying environment, etc.
It was a small instant on computer in a form of a calculator that you could customize it (software & hardware) on the fly to fit your need.
I have more than 25 x HP-41C/CV/CX/CL in my collection, including 6 x 41CL and 2 x 41CX halfnut that I still use everyday.
Sylvain
+1
Actually a system
And even the PCs have had so many dedicated peripherals and extensions
The PCs soon became fully equipped portable devices, integrated systems that just wait to be connected to the network,
But already the HP41 with HPIL thought in connecting the world! Smile
This calculator is always alive and young and even has found a new soul and is certainly not shy if invited to dialogue and work together with modern PCs
For this reason is perhaps one the most beloved
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - aurelio - 12-13-2017 06:08 PM
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)