Most common calculators in the forum?
12-02-2017, 10:35 PM
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
It's the poor screen that is (was) the real deal killer for me.

If the screen was better I might have invested more time trying to like it. But I found I just kept going back to using my 11C or the computer, so eventually sold it.

I think it's easy to blame marketing guys, but it's better to lay the blame where it really belongs: Large numbers of people who go for superficial cosmetics instead of actual usability. Their dollars dictate how products should be made to appeal to them. The initial light color of the Prime keys (the one I have, unfortunately) is probably in this domain.

Having said all this, poor LCD contrast on the 33S isn't really a marketing thing. The slanted keys yes, but surely nobody wants poor contrast. So, in fact, maybe we do need to blame the engineering and component sourcing departments for the 33S display.

(12-02-2017 09:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The HP-33S is a very polarizing design. Functionally it is nice (predictably between a 32SII and 35S, logical) but the angled chevron-shaped keyboard is either hated or appreciated by users. I've been surprised by some members in the 33S fan club, I think Joe Horn is included.

I only got one in recent years as a collectable so never really spent much time using it. Clearly the 'modern' design doesn't appeal to traditional HP users, but maybe after actually using it a while it grows on you. I find the color scheme and contrast very poor, I find it hard to read in all but excellent lighting conditions. But no doubt this color scheme was favored by the marketing folks...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - lemontea - 12-02-2017 10:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)