Most common calculators in the forum?
12-01-2017, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 06:58 PM by Thomas Okken.)
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
(12-01-2017 05:58 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:49 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I interpreted your question as asking which calculators, in working condition, people here own. I own five calculators, all in working condition, but I don't use any of them. What about this is surprising?

Sure, there may be the person owning calculators for the sake of collecting them.

That's not just one or two people; it's a sizable fraction of the forum membership, and probably everyone who responded to your poll!

(12-01-2017 05:58 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Nonetheless I assume (I may be wrong) that the majority bought this or that model to use them even if for limited time. Plus, if one does not really care, it does not bother to keep the calculator working or even removing the batteries.

Wrong. Even my tiny collection of four HPs is mostly (3 out of 4) calculators that I bought out of nostalgia, with no intention of ever using them. Only my 42S used to be my daily calculator. And what is your definition of caring? I don't care to use those calculators, but I do like them and keep them in good condition and treat them gently. Including the retired 42S.

(update)

To make a long story short: there are many different reasons for buying things one doesn't need, and for holding on to things one no longer needs. Any attempt to generalize people's motivations or predict their behavior is doomed to fail.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - Thomas Okken - 12-01-2017 06:48 PM
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)