Most common calculators in the forum?
12-01-2017, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 01:28 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
Updated until this point (unless more posts come in the meantime)

(11-30-2017 06:33 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  That's a very misconstrued interpretation of that statement and not my opinion.
I am happy to be wrong then Smile . No worries.

Quote:One shouldn't be surprised that the newer models aren't the most common among the members of a vintage calculator forum. For that matter, I'd like to see the results of the same poll posted in the Prime forum. Smile
As replied to rprosperi, this makes sense. But you know, one has to start somewhere (sure, would I have used the test section, I could have inferred that mostly no one owned anything)

Quote:Statistical analysis of the calculator ownership among the members was not how this poll was advertised. My understanding of this poll was to determine which calculators were common, apparently so you could consider showing interest in them.
"Statistical analysis" is some big word for this poll . Yes I wanted to know (really out of curiosity, if I could see clear pictures I would count myself) which calculators are common among the users. Or better, which ones were hoarded.
My "statistic" is just accumulation of data or "sigma+" on some calculators.
If a poll like this is done every 2 years, then it gets more interesting.

Furthermore as I wrote I was assuming that the 50g/48g would be the most common device since it is quite powerful and sold for long time. But it is nothing bad if another model is more common, on the contrary! It is interesting data!

Thanks to the results so far yesterday I read a bit more about the 41 searching the reasons for the comment of Thomas Okken. Why was the 41 the end of the competition in the high end calculator market. I read that it was the first hp (I am not sure if it was the first in the world) that could let users write labels in programs, and indeed it was deemed as a portable computer with flexible functions.

And I am really surprised that at this point there are at least 20x 35S and 16x 42S working around, compared to other numbers. The first due to its reputation, the second due to its age (and speed since many could just drop it for the Free42).

Quote:I believe your methodology is flawed because many people own more than one of a particular model. By your reasoning, if 25 people own a Prime and one person owns 25 41's, then they're equally common, but the Prime is more popular. Shouldn't popularity be a better indication of which models in which to show interest?

"Flawed" depends on the objective that one wants to achieve. Every metric or logical system or what not is arbitrary. A metric (or a logical system, or what not) can be hold as "more valid" but many people (or few people) but it is still arbitrary. Just because it "feels right" it does not mean that is absolutely right.

So I understand your point. Indeed another possible metric (that is also included in this survey) is to count only the owners. Anyway I wanted really to visualize in my mind "ok if the people that wrote something would come together in one place with all the calculators working, we would have X calculators of this model, Y of this other model, etc..".
Besides I also kept the list of owners to fix the numbers in case of mistakes and this second list may achive the "number of owners" metric.

Quote:Why only working calculators? If someone has a calculator in the process of repair I don't see how that affects the commonality or popularity.
As written above, it depends on the objective. Aside that something can be in the "to be repaired" status for years, I imagined a meetup with all the calculators working. For example a meetup where you need to solve a problem in each calculator that you have. A broken one won't help.

Anyway I don't mind if people would list all the calculators that they have, working or not. Once the source of data is there, different metric can be applied on it.

(12-01-2017 05:08 AM)Fred Lusk Wrote:  -cut-

--Fred Lusk
That was a nice post. Calculators + history of them.

(12-01-2017 05:29 AM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  Funny, this thread reminds me of some kind of "Schwanzvergleich", showing off or 'cock comparing', typical male (or human?) behaviour.

For the experience that I had in real or virtual life I would say that the "penis contest" develops quite differently.
The normal procedure is: someone says "look what I did/bought" and then the others start to say "oh you have only this (or you could do only this)? Haha, look what I have/did!". So it is way more confrontational.

Instead here I am asking for voluntary listings, I do not see (yet) any animosity happening in terms of "I have more than you".

(12-01-2017 11:10 AM)EdS2 Wrote:  This poll needs more Sinclairs... here's what I've got, working, not working, and not even a calculator:

HP-15C Limited Edition
HP 35s
HP 30b

Hello fellow awk user! (awk + bc is pretty strong) I included only the HPs. In general I kept in the first post only the most well known - by me - producers because it is difficult to keep up with all the others brands (I guess I will take away Canon too). But I am happy that people are precise about their calculators so different metrics can be developed if one wants.

Also I included only your HPs because I was not sure if the others (from the producers listed in the first post) were working on not since you wrote everything you have (and I appreciate!). I assumed the HPs are working, but I may be wrong.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - pier4r - 12-01-2017 01:22 PM
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)