Most common calculators in the forum?
11-30-2017, 06:33 PM
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
(11-30-2017 02:13 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(11-30-2017 03:38 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Also, that the 50g and Prime aren't as popular as you thought they'd be because this is a vintage HP calculator website targeted at HP calculators introduced between 1968 and 1986.
I am not sure how to interpret this passage.
For my perspective it seems like "here we discuss systems sold between 1968 and 1986, the rest is not welcomed". If I am not wrong (and I hope I am), I can accept that you have this view but I don't agree on it. It sounds too much like gate keeping.

That's a very misconstrued interpretation of that statement and not my opinion. It is because of the calculators that HP produced during the "golden years" that brought many of us here (except the Prime people) but the forum topics are not restricted to only those early models.

One shouldn't be surprised that the newer models aren't the most common among the members of a vintage calculator forum. For that matter, I'd like to see the results of the same poll posted in the Prime forum. Smile

(11-30-2017 02:13 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(11-30-2017 03:38 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 11:10 PM)pier4r Wrote:  In the meanwhile, where is your list?
Who cares?
Me, statistics and forum history.

Statistical analysis of the calculator ownership among the members was not how this poll was advertised. My understanding of this poll was to determine which calculators were common, apparently so you could consider showing interest in them.

I believe your methodology is flawed because many people own more than one of a particular model. By your reasoning, if 25 people own a Prime and one person owns 25 41's, then they're equally common, but the Prime is more popular. Shouldn't popularity be a better indication of which models in which to show interest?

Why only working calculators? If someone has a calculator in the process of repair I don't see how that affects the commonality or popularity.

Here's another approach and let's use the 41 as an example.
1. $5000 was recently offered for a rare 41 variant
2. Systemyde created a CPU replacement for the 41 and Diego Diaz created re-programmable modules
3. Angel Martin keeps cranking out new and improved ROM's for the 41
4. SwissMicros created the DM41
5. There's a whole website dedicated to the 41

I don't think these things would have happened if the 41 wasn't extremely common and popular.

SwissMicros has also recreated the Voyager series which I doubt they would've done if it wasn't so common and popular.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - Dave Frederickson - 11-30-2017 06:33 PM
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)