Most common calculators in the forum?
11-30-2017, 03:14 PM
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
(11-30-2017 02:43 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  All visitors and topics are of interest, no one is trying to erect gates, this is just a view to explain why the actual results differ from what you expected to see.
Yes this makes sense. Although I was not expecting to see a distributions reflecting new buyers (because otherwise I won't have mentioned the 48 series that is long gone), rather a distribution reflecting users here.

Quote:Being surprised that the 41 is at or near the top confirms that you did not have a complete view of HP calculator history, or of the general user base here. That is not a bad thing, but it explains your expectations, and it also means that this poll is a good way to learn such info; I'm sure many younger and recent members were also educated by the replies in this thread.

For the 41 surprise, I thought it was like the 42S. Quite powerful but expensive and aging ( with aging I mean: after 20+ years things break down. If my first 50g is still working after 2030 I'll kiss the ground).
So I was expecting the 41 to be used, but not so massively. Also the 42S is a monster but it is also not that fast, so I was also expecting people to have their 41 (or other 'old' models) but using mostly newer models due to practical reasons.

Said that, newer models (say, a 48) being more inexpensive, common and younger would therefore be more popular in the survey. So far it is not so.

As you said "and it also means that this poll is a good way to learn such info; I'm sure many younger and recent members were also educated by the replies in this thread.", so this topic (and in general data) is helpful. At least for me.

So far I have at least the following effects:
(a) reading more about the 41. I read briefly in the Hp journal (where a quintillion of devices was produced for the thing, even a pen to read bar codes and exchange programs)
(b) See if there is a valid 41 replica in software somewhere (windows/linux won't be bad).
(c) See if it can adapt to my workflow.
(d) Already checked. See if I can get a 41 myself, but they are over budget. Even the dm41 or the 41CL (if I understood right they are new) are out of my reach for the moment.

(11-30-2017 02:45 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Because of all this, the 41 is probably the best-selling high-end calculator of all time. Given that, and the fact that they were pretty well made, it's no surprise that they are still easy to find, still fairly inexpensive, and extremely well represented in people's collections. People may talk about their RPL machines more, but the 41 lives on.

And indeed that's nice. Would be a pity to see such technological feats unused. I did not know that the 41 was a best selling machine, I had the idea that when people (especially companies) need something, they bought desktop calculators/computers.
For example the Hp 9100 series or 9800 (If I am not mistaken about the numbers).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - pier4r - 11-30-2017 03:14 PM
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)