Most common calculators in the forum?
11-30-2017, 02:43 PM
RE: Most common calculators in the forum?
(11-30-2017 02:13 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
Quote:Also, that the 50g and Prime aren't as popular as you thought they'd be because this is a vintage HP calculator website targeted at HP calculators introduced between 1968 and 1986.
I am not sure how to interpret this passage.
For my perspective it seems like "here we discuss systems sold between 1968 and 1986, the rest is not welcomed". If I am not wrong (and I hope I am), I can accept that you have this view but I don't agree on it. It sounds too much like gate keeping.

I think you missed Dave's point. Because this place is a museum, it naturally is visited by people that have decided to visit a museum, probably because they have older HP machines, so the results reflect the older nature of machines in use by those people.

If you wanted to know the distribution of new sports cars being purchased and driven, you likely would not see good results polling visitors to a car museum.

All visitors and topics are of interest, no one is trying to erect gates, this is just a view to explain why the actual results differ from what you expected to see.

Being surprised that the 41 is at or near the top confirms that you did not have a complete view of HP calculator history, or of the general user base here. That is not a bad thing, but it explains your expectations, and it also means that this poll is a good way to learn such info; I'm sure many younger and recent members were also educated by the replies in this thread.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most common calculators in the forum? - rprosperi - 11-30-2017 02:43 PM
That the truth be told - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dave Frederickson - hp41cx - 12-02-2017, 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)