Can this be solved with any HP CAS?
09-29-2017, 12:46 AM
RE: Can this be solved with any HP CAS?
(09-29-2017 12:00 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  If your comments are a reply to my question (I honestly can't tell), I can say, with absolutely no offence meant at all, that it doesn't help (me) one bit.
Yes, that was aimed partly at you (for calling division by zero undefined) but also in repsonse to the "cannot decide the right domain" statement because the same response addresses both: in the "right" domain division by zero can be defined.

I think there is a very wide mix of people on this forum, which is probably part of the reason why we are having these discussions (with different expectations). :-)

To "answer" your question: the extended or compactified complex plane is very useful in complex function theory because it turns out that you can treat "infinity" as just another point in the "plane" for many purposes, thereby simplifying a lot of the theory.

To "misdirect" from your question: it does not matter. We are talking about well-established mathematics that is over 150 years old. A lot of it has found is way into applications and much more will no doubt follow. It is interesting that you mention number theory because that is one of the success stories of "useless" abstract mathematics finding its way into applications (think encryption).

The point that I am trying to make is that even within mathematics there is always a context in which you are working and that context will justify defining (or undefining) things that require a different approach elsewhere. Whoever created the algorithms for your tool would have done so in some context that may not be yours. This doesn't affect most calculations but it might affect borderline situations. Unless there is a clear bug I would just accept and (try to) understand what the tools does and hopefully when to expect the unexpected...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Can this be solved with any HP CAS? - HP67 - 09-27-2017, 03:55 PM
RE: Can this be solved with any HP CAS? - AlexFekken - 09-29-2017 12:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)