HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ?
09-28-2017, 09:52 AM
RE: HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ?
(09-28-2017 08:32 AM)brickviking Wrote:  I'm a bit divided with the 50G. Sometimes I find that if I'm forced to write on the 50G, it's better because I'm not then distracted by "Ooo, shiney pretty thing!" on the PC's screen. It also hopefully makes me more used to finding stuff in the menus on the calculator itself. On the other hand, when I need to look up something in a manual or on the forums, because I don't have physical manuals on hand (except the AUR) I need to go open one up on the computer screen anyhow. At least in that case, I am scratching my head as to which is better—use the PC keyboard in an emulator or editor or poke buttons on a calculator.

Well for the pc that offers distraction, it depends on the person. Personally I dedicated a old (but gold) laptop for programming and it works really good. I cannot open amazon that it hangs (not because the system is poor, but because amazon has too much client side code). For the rest is ok: pdf, .mp4, .avi and so on.

So my workflow is:
- open a file in the repository (git) with notepad
- code
- transfer to the calculator
- test
- if needed, quick changes directly on the calc (and mirrored in the code) or fixed in the code. Another transfer on the calculator and so on.
- until it is stable and working.

In the past, pre 2013, I used emulators to develop. Since I found out that I can write direct text on the calculator (or I can transfer source files quickly) I dropped any emulator, that are clumsy for me, and I use the 50g itself for debugging. Also I get the "real" feedback.

The only problem is when I get syntax error and I do not know where, but I solve this building my programs slowly so I know that a syntax error can be only in the new added code.

This at least let me use the real 50g more. Otherwise I would use it way less and it would be a pity.

With the prime on android I do the same (copy, paste on the android screen) but I did not yet start a real development.

For newRPL for the moment I use only the desktop version because I do not want to play back and forth with the SD. Although newRPL is on the powerful PC (because it does not run on winXP anymore) that I open rarely.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ? - pier4r - 09-28-2017 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)