HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ?
01-14-2024, 08:36 PM
RE: HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ?
(01-14-2024 06:19 AM)jthole Wrote:  
(01-14-2024 05:45 AM)Rolief_Rechner Wrote:  All your points are good. What is discouraging is the apparent lack of enthusiasm, even from those might enjoy such a machine.

It's called realism. If they can't reuse an existing hardware platform and most of the software, it won't happen. Too expensive and too much risk.

The best you can hope for (and even that is questionable) is something like a SwissMicros DM48 (maybe running C3D's DB48X program when that's mature enough).

No. It's lack of desire for the product. And thus the will to solve problems that go with such a project is nonexistent. The market wants a calcphone now. Or would it be called a phonecalc? As long as users can slide their fingers all over the screen, they're happy.

As for SM, what they've done with so little is phenomenal. But calling it like it is - none of their products are the original. For example, just happen to have a DM15L right here. The keys are stiff as a frozen tree. You have to bang those keys not to miss keystrokes. The user experience is not the same.

To end, guess I'm lucky. When the abomination that was the HP49 came out over ~20 years ago, a local university bookstore put the 48GX on sale for $79 US. I bought the last 3 they had. One of the smartest buys I've ever made.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ? - Rolief_Rechner - 01-14-2024 08:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)