Voyager Series: How "rare" are they, really?
09-22-2017, 11:29 PM
RE: Voyager Series: How "rare" are they, really?
(09-22-2017 04:44 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  And if you take into account inflation from the original price you paid for what the LE was sold for what fraction of its cost is the LE? Smile

Still though, even if we look at the 1981 "selling price", ( which in no way what so ever reflects the price to actually manufacture the 15c, because businesses are in business to make a profit, so we all very well know it didn't cost HP anywhere close to $135 to mass produce a calculator that's probably 97%, or more, plastic ), and adjust that for 2017 dollars, and then compare it to the LE; we clearly see that the LE's "selling price" is 29% that of the original 15c.

However, just because something "sells" for a lesser amount, ( i.e., it's less 'expensive' ), that in no way means it needs to be made more 'cheaply'. You can still build things that are of high quality and not make them cost an arm and a leg.

Now, perhaps that's not what Tim was getting at? But the way I read the response was that he's saying "well... it cost 1/3 of the original 15c, so why do you expect the quality would be as good?".

To answer that.... I expect the quality to be as good simply because HP put it's name on it. Don't get me wrong, I do like HP; however, I highly suspect that if Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard were still alive and calling the shots at corporate, I think HP's quality would be a far cry above where it has gone to today. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Voyager Series: How "rare" are they, really? - BarryT - 09-22-2017 11:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)