Computing devices and long lasting communities
04-19-2017, 03:10 PM
RE: Computing devices and long lasting communities
I'm sure it has to do with some combination of nostalgia, timelessness of utility (calculators really hit the mark here), availability of contemporary alternatives, supply of the old devices, the creativity and ingenuity that result from constraint, etc.

Look at the 41CX or 42S: a lot of people probably fondly remember these from early in their career/school, they're extremely capable with great flexibility in programming, there isn't really anything comparable today (Swiss Micros is working to remedy that), there are just enough available secondhand to maintain interest in a large enough population, but not enough to saturate the market, and the limited memory, speed, and screen size pose interesting challenges that have bred a lot of clever programming over the years.

The Windows CE devices were always just less-capable versions of the Windows computers we had (and still have), so I don't think they offer anything you can't get in a much more polished contemporary device. The Psions have fared a bit better, with overall better design in may areas, and on-device programming via OPL. Still, I wouldn't mind getting ahold of an old Cassiopeia A-11 with the CE 2.0 upgrade just for kicks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Computing devices and long lasting communities - Dave Britten - 04-19-2017 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)