Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
05-21-2018, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 12:54 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
Some notes for those that are in my previous situation and for myself in the future (when I will forget).

1. simple but effective backups on the SD card (50g).
Of course one can make or search proper backup programs that do everything automatically but in the worst case do:
(a) tidy up the SD card main folder with the help of libraries like the sdfiler (see http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10644.html )
(b) select all the things in port0 (HOME) to be copied with the built in filer (the same can be done with port1 and port2 files)
(c) copy them on the SD card
(d) with the SDfiler tidy up again the sd card, for example moving the new files to a proper folder.
(e) repeat as wished but be careful, the sdfiler sometimes doesn't really see many files in a folder

2. enjoy the power of conn4x (connectivity kit software between PC and 50g plus usb drivers for the 50g). This will require winXP (mostly). Wait a moment, it means that you should keep a winXP functioning device as well for your hp 50g! Or you play around with virtual machines.

conn4x can quickly transfer data in textual form. Use the "edit as text file". It is really flexible. You can create new folders, rename them, and then edit the content (converting them to programs or so) with ease.

Also you can discover how folder works, seeing the content (as text) of one filled folder on the 50g. Alternatively go search threads like this: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8054.html with the explanations of DavidM.

also conn4x is useful to pass a lot of data in text format (plus digraphs) to the virtual calculator as well. The virtual calculator doesn't swallow easily digraphs or line endings.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime) - pier4r - 05-21-2018 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)