Help me choose next calculator
02-02-2016, 04:18 PM
RE: Help me choose next calculator
(02-02-2016 02:13 PM)dockthedog Wrote:  My beloved HP 48GX died. I'm thinking of either an e-bay direct replacement of my 48GX, a new 50G or a new Prime. Please help me decide. ...

Your comments say RPN is a must, but 48 & 50 are RPL. If you program, there is a huge difference between them. If not, you should consider the WP-34S as well.

But assuming staying with RPL, based on your criteria, I suggest the 50g. Here's why:

The Prime has only fundamental RPN capabilities, and while an amazingly powerful machine, its advantages do not align with your needs.

A 48GX, in good condition, costs between $200-300, assuming you would get one with Black LCD (needed for aging eyes). And all of these are 30 years old, even if slightly used.

You can get a NEW 50g for $50, it's MUCH faster than a 48, has more memory, uses cheap SD cards for expansion, works with the same ConKit (but works with native USB - better for modern PCs), is essentially fully compatible with the 48G, yet adds many more built-in functions.

After 15 years of using a 48, the 50g will initially feel odd, with different keyboard layout, small [Enter] key on bottom-right (vs. double wide button in the 'right' place), and a slightly less satisfying key-press feel, but most people quickly become used to these changes and the advantages quickly outweigh the disadvantages.

All that said, IMHO the 48G still is one of the best 'feeling' calculators ever made, and you may want to stay with the same model if familiarity is very important.

Let us know which way you go, have fun choosing.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help me choose next calculator - Dave - 02-02-2016, 02:35 PM
RE: Help me choose next calculator - rprosperi - 02-02-2016 04:18 PM
RE: Help me choose next calculator - TASP - 02-02-2016, 05:10 PM
RE: Help me choose next calculator - ttw - 02-04-2016, 07:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)