How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
06-04-2015, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 05:58 AM by Tugdual.)
RE: How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
For a very long time I've been using a 15C and nothing else. I actually did my high studies with a 15C and I totally knew all features (except Brouhaha's synthetics Big Grin).
RPN became a second nature and with the excellent keyboard I was extremely fast (reason why I don't believe in phones to replace calculators).
A few years ago I decided to have a look on more recent features such as CAS and I bought a Prime. Was pretty disappointed for many reasons: RPN had almost disappeared, CAS was not impressive and Basic totally inefficient for a handled machine (Prime resembles to a computer, except that computers are much better than a Prime). I then had a 15CLE when it was sold for an acceptable price when it was released. Nothing new of course apart from speed and quick battery depletion.
I moved on 35s as a cheap every day calculator and, to my surprise, I found it as good as the 15C, some aspects even better but here again, no dramatic change in experience.
I finally acquired a 48G that I really found very exciting but slow and screen difficult to read. I then discovered that the 50g was pretty much the same as 48G but a bit better (despite plastic case and keyboard). This is now the machine I use the more. The RPL is in my opinion totally aligned with RPN concepts and handled machine coding approach. Better than keystrokes coding much more adapted than basic. I also love the Fx keys, the VAR, the MES solver, easy (compared to the Prime) unit of measurement, easy (same comment) base, the infinite stack. I don't care much about graphics and I stick on userRPL, I'm not a big fan of cryptic coding, calculator has to be simple and straightforward. This machine is a monster not that difficult to tame and very good for a large spectrum of operations, from simple to complex. The 50g is definitely a breakthrough after the 15C and 35s. BTW for fun, I took my original 15C user guide and started the exercises with the 50G. So easy... that is an interesting way to measure progress.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you? - Tugdual - 06-04-2015 05:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)