How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
06-03-2015, 03:04 PM
RE: How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
(06-02-2015 02:40 AM)AnalogJoe Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 01:27 AM)Andreas Grund Wrote:  My wife and my daughters don't like RPN calculators, for them I am obsessed. ...

HAHA, I would love to hear what they say to you, I mean im single so nobody bugs me and I dont care, but I can only wonder what your "iphone generation" daughter thinks about his father with more than 20 weird old calculators.

My wife has been a math teacher for years now, first at the university level and now that we've moved into the hinterlands, in a middle school. Hardly anybody in the math field uses an RPN calculator but there were a few young and old who did at the university.

The iPhone generation generally uses Wolfram Alpha as their graphing calculator. While phones are not allowed in standardized tests, they are by and large tolerated in class especially as a learning aid. I suspect that most of the high schoolers who buy a graphing calculator these days will only use it during tests where their phone is disallowed. Non-RPN / RPL calculators make more sense for this application because there is only a very short learning curve.

Anyway I suspect the pocket calculator will always be with us as long as we maintain a civilization capable of producing electronics, but I also suspect that RPN will continue to be somewhat of a niche system, and RPL is now officially 'done for' with HP's plans to discontinue the 50g. I got my spare 50g - did YOU?

/sweeps finger across virtual room
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you? - Sukiari - 06-03-2015 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)