All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
04-16-2015, 03:57 PM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
(04-15-2015 04:52 PM)Mark Wrote:  Hello,

Speaking about NIB slide rules (and wondering if it wasn't already told somewhere else on the forum) : especially for some of you who live in Europe, Faber-Castell still has some NOS silde rules. As a collector, 2014 was my "slide rules year" after 35 years of electronic and mechanical calculators. The first slide rules I got were from Faber-Castell. Problem, the prices are high ! Next I got a big stroke of luck, the best I can wish to other collectors : getting in touch with a (French) collector who began selling away everything he had. One month later I was (and still am) happy with slide rules from Europe, Japan, US.... And learning their use was a pure joy ! I couldn't help sharing all that with you :-)

Marc

Faber-Castell's shop (German only) : http://service.de.faber-castell-shop.com...chenstaebe

Marc,

This Faber-Castell shop is where my first $200 went !!!! and yes, I ran across the link on this forum also. As you mention, the site is only in the German language, so ordering was a little adventure for me, but quite positive. Google Translate worked just fine. I was able to contain my urges to just 3 rules, they shipped from Germany this past monday, and only charged 8.40 euros ($ 9.07 currently) for international shipping. Also, since the shipment is to the US, the VAT is waived, reducing the prices by 16%.

One can appreciate the mentality of an organization that, when faced with a dead market 40 years ago, decided to keep it's inventory and keep selling slowly!!! In today's climate of short term business thinking, I find Faber-Castell's approach quite refreshing.

In my post 6 days ago I said that one K+E and one Pickett was all I want. Well, that didn't last long. Since then I've added both Post and Dietzgen to my wish list. Both offered rules in Bamboo sourced from Japan, and this material has some intriguing qualities in this application. A lot of the German rules look really good from the photos on the internet. With so many different approaches of high quality from around the world I echo your enthusiasum.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - MarkMason - 04-16-2015 03:57 PM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - rkf - 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)