Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
04-03-2015, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 07:01 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
(04-03-2015 04:17 PM)pito Wrote:  Nice heatsinks there at the voltage regulators Smile
In case you would need more computational power (and bigger heatsinks):

Yeah, unfortunately, without heat sinks I could fry a good voltage regulator. Well, the LM317T is only really designed to handle 500 mA. It will do 1.5 amp, with a large heat sink and a fan... not very efficient. As it is, the Edison is pulling 100-200 mA all the time and the 317 gets quite warm... my little aluminum fins keep things quite cool.

I saw the pic on-line (at Intel, I think)... very nice. I could not believe the author (you?) actually soldered directly to the Hirose connector(s)! Those will never plug into anything again. :-)) I liked the pic though... world's smallest Beowulf cluster !

marcus

PS I must report that my Edison started crashing this morning not long after updating my latest 'sketch' and also not long after I plugged 'er into the Sparkfun GPIO block. (rats)... about every 5 or ten minutes; afraid of corrupting the flash (if not already). So, I pulled it apart and found a fleck of dust in the Hirose connector! Blew it out with an air can, and reassembled it... been running ever since; couple of hours now. That Hirose connector is going to be the Achilles heel on this entire project, and on the entire Intel Edison venture, I'm afraid.

PPS I'm going to be experimenting with making my own breakout board, in preparation for making the generic calculator shield board... and I'm going to have to reflow a micro miniature 70pin Hirose connector to that board without any solder bridges and without an breaks and without any dust! Geeze.
I have a scope on order. I've never needed one before, because I'm extremely myopic; My own eyes at 10 cm is like most of you looking through a scope... But even I cannot see that Hirose connector without a scope.

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal - MarkHaysHarris777 - 04-03-2015 06:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)