Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
03-26-2015, 09:43 PM
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
(03-26-2015 04:18 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I have also been considering (and testing) the 'guts' of the Raspberry PI (Broadcom's chipset, and flash) as well a very small form factor (not as small as the edison, I'm afraid) that is similar to a dimm slot memory card. You can read about the Raspberry PI Development board on-line. This board would also make a fabulous calculator (for science platform, printing, serving, and plotting). I need to make some comparisons and also compare and contrast the power requirements and empirical measurements.

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Be careful!
There was a product: the Odroid-W with the Broadcom chip and a much smaller form factor than the Pi:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...0610189490

After a successful launch, they tried to buy more chips for a second batch and couldn't do it because Broadcom only sells in huge quantities (except to the Raspberry Pi foundation). They were forced to kill their successful product.
So if you use a R Pi compatible board, always remember you can't create your own design based on theirs. You have to buy their board and use it as-is because you just can't get the chip on the market.
On other platforms you might be able to use their open hardware design to create your own compatible board in the form factor that you actually need.
The Edison is ideal in that it's a tiny CPU module, and you can create your board any way you want.
Don't give away your freedom of design.

Claudio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal - Claudio L. - 03-26-2015 09:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)