Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
03-21-2015, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2015 11:20 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
(03-21-2015 11:47 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  It seems like you (or Pauli) may have discovered the perfect solution to this arrangement with the Intel Edison! It is tiny, powerful, embeddable, reasonably low power, and well priced.

hi Barry, good to hear from you... actually, a couple of months ago I didn't know an Intel Edison from a post hole/! Pauli pointed me to the edison device (I just picked it up and started running). I'm an Arduino fanatic, so I'm relatively new to both the Raspberry PI community, and brand new to the Edison community of engineers and hobbyists. Barry, you are correct, its the best solution I've played around with so far, by far!

I have my edison blinking actual lights today, becoming more comfortable with the system and the pinouts of the mini breakout board. I have attached a hi-res pic of the edison blinking alternate LEDs on pin(s) J19-10 (13) and J20-9 (12). One of the 'fits' with the board (aside from its 1.8v logic, 3 mA pin limit, 130 mA Vcc limit) is that the pinouts are mapped to several designations depending on which development system you're using, and which 'breakout board' you have. By the way, don't bother with the Arduino breakout board... its twice the price of the Edison in the first place, and its larger than the Arduino Due board! I am using the development module (the Edison itself) and the Intel mini-breakout board. Also, for the moment, I'm using the Arduino IDE to build my sketches. The Edison supports Elipse and Python (which may come in VERY handy for the calculator main firmware, we'll see). Hi-res pic (click on it) then explanation:

[Image: double-blinker-edison2.jpg]

Vcc is (blue) on the back rail, Vss is (green) on the front rail. The edison has been inverted and plugged into the solderless bread board; its 1.8v logic is being 'shifted' to 8.2v using our friend the LM339. The two resistors nearest the edison are a voltage divider providing the 1.5v ref for the voltage shifter; the other two resistors are the 'source' current limiting (17mA) resistors for the LEDs. The white line output from the edison (J19-10 (13)) is Arduino pin13; the black line output from the edison (J20-9 (12) is Arduino pin12. The sketch code is following:

Code:

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

Most Arduinos have an on-board LED you can control. On the Uno and
  Leonardo, it is attached to digital pin 13. If you're unsure what
  pin the on-board LED is connected to on your Arduino model, check
  the documentation at http://arduino.cc

This example code is in the public domain.

modified 8 March 2015
  by Mark H Harris
 */
int t_delay = 700;

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin 13 as an output.
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(12, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  digitalWrite(12, LOW);
  delay(t_delay);              // wait a while
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  digitalWrite(12,HIGH);
  delay(t_delay);              // wait a while
}

-

I like this pic, because the camera caught the sketch 'between' the (13,HIGH) and (12,LOW) instruction(s)! The pin13 is coming HIGH, and the pin12 has not gone out, yet.

This post is demonstrating what I mean by, 'grown-up board'. This is a lot of work and 'understanding' to blink a couple of LEDs. In the voltage shifting, if you make a mistake, it will probably be fatal for the edison. Something I should note is that my 'probes' are 'resting' in the output holes of the edison (which would normally short them out against the 'shield foil' covering the processor underneath! I have placed a small strip of note card as an insulator between the breakout holes and the processor shield.

I have supported the edison with a cylinder of rolled note card just to take pressure (not much) off the power pins.

That's all for now.

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal - MarkHaysHarris777 - 03-21-2015 08:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)