Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
03-19-2015, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2015 11:24 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
Greetings, well, first I really need to thank Pauli one more time for pointing me to the Edison with the mini-breakout board-- absolutely astounding! It has been Christmas around my house, complete with lights. We've got a couple Raspberry PIs glowing red from some corner, and now an Intel Edison glowing green from the other corner (just a fabulous computer science day for me). Smile

[Image: edison-cold2.jpg] [Image: edison-alive2.jpg] [Image: edison-top2.jpg]

The big surprise for me is that this little gem (which may be powered three ways) is a full Yocto gnu/linux system complete with all of the busybox tool suite, and out-of-box gnu/linux server functionality. I had it on the network via wifi in minutes, complete with a web server and full accessability via minicom terminal logon, or ssh logon via remote... a geek can play with this jewel from Intel for 'hours' and never physically connect it to anything; but man, solder a header on this thing and you have full access to the GPIO bus voila!-- you have a controller the size of a book of matches running a full-blown gnu/linux system and all of the pinouts you might expect from an Arduino!

The terminal pic is a screen shot of 'top' running over the Intel Edison via ssh logon from over the network. This board may be powered by a lithium ion batt on the J2 connector, or a 7-12v batt (9v similar to arduino) on the J21 connector, or it may be powered from the 5v pins of the micro usb connector (my choice tonight). Tomorrow we'll try the lithium and 9v options (with measurements); keep you posted.

This board is definitely the way to go. I don't think its going to run on coin cells; I'll know more about that tomorrow... need to study the datasheet and do a little playing.

Well, can't say enough... I'm pumped about the Intel Edison... thanks again, Pauli!

PS... Python is on-board; as well the gcc compiler! ... whoohoo, toys!

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal - MarkHaysHarris777 - 03-19-2015 07:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)