WP 34S: Estimated shelf life of Eric's overlays?
02-28-2015, 10:19 AM
RE: WP 34S: Estimated shelf life of Eric's overlays?
(02-28-2015 07:09 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 08:27 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  Can anyone realistically assess the shelf life of the glue in unused overlays?

If they were hermetically sealed (or at least stored in a good plastic air-tight baggie with moisture and oxygen reducers, probably years. I think we may have had the same thought; purchase a few extra sheets from Eric now (in case they are rare later) knowing full well that the calculator is going to out-live the labels. I'm going one step further than that... I'm making 'several' units which I plan to store in a cool dry sealed environment hopeful that at least one of them will survive into old age with me (assuming of course that I survive into old age with me)
Smile

i am also working on moving forward with a design that will not require HP, nor Eric's labels.

Having said all of that... the enemy of the vinyl label is oil. The oil from your finger tips (hair) &c will weaken the gum. If you keep your hands clean and dry when using any fine instrument it will last longer. (don't smoke around your calculator; smoking destroys calculators and smoking destroys humans) Keep the calculator out of the sunlight, or any bright lighting frankly, and when possible keep it in a cool dry place (avoid dust, moisture and oils). I make sure my calcs have a zippered case where they are reliably and religiously stored when not in use. Hey, before I play my guitar, piano, flute or clarinet I was my hands and thoroughly dry them. I consider my calculator a fine instrument too (clean dry hands are essential, especially if you want your Eric stickers to last a long time).

And after all that... these vinyl labels are similar to the vinyl labels on a Rubic's cube (if you've played with one of those before, you know what I mean). I have a couple of those that are more than twenty-five years old... you guessed it, clean dry hands.

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Very similar thinking in the first paragraph.

2nd para is beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm 62 this year & hope my stock of calculators will last till doomsday.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP 34S: Estimated shelf life of Eric's overlays? - Gerald H - 02-28-2015 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)