WP34s and 31s: Updating the emulator while preserving all data
01-25-2015, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 07:59 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: WP34s and 31s: Updating the emulator while preserving all data
(01-25-2015 06:23 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  That is quite easy. Before installing the update, copy the file wp34s.dat from the wp34s-vers/trunk/windows/bin directory to a safe place where it won't get overwritten by the update.

After the update replace the wp34s.dat file back to it's original directory with the one you put in a safe place, then start the emulator.

Good timing here! Was going to post a similar question but thought I had created my own mess. Barry's answer confuses me further with the stated file locations deep into some install path.

Maybe I've had the 34S emulator installed improperly all along? I don't recall my setup process some years ago, but I have all the emulator files (.exe, .dll. .bmp. .pdf, .dat, .ini, etc.) in a single folder, and when updates come out I just replace the .exe and it seems to work fine (latest installed is ver 3678 from last July).

By coincidence, yesterday I ran across the new version and opened the zip, and like you Dieter, was a bit confused about what to update with what.

So, for setups like this (all prior verison files in one folder) what is the recommended update procedure? The newer QT-based version comes with files in a variety of folders (skins, images, program, etc) but no installer per se.

I can manually copy/move files as needed, so not complaining about lack of installer, just confused due to new apparant structure.

Should I create a wholly new folder tree with the same structure as the zip and then just overwrite with my existing .dat file?

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP34s and 31s: Updating the emulator while preserving all data - rprosperi - 01-25-2015 07:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)