WP34s and 31s: Updating the emulator while preserving all data
01-25-2015, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 07:05 PM by BarryMead.)
RE: WP34s and 31s: Updating the emulator while preserving all data
(01-25-2015 06:02 PM)Dieter Wrote:  I would like to do an update without losing programs, data and settings. How can this be done? On a hardware 34s you simply SAVE everything, update the device and the previous state is automatically restored afterwards.

Dieter
That is quite easy. Before installing the update, copy the file wp34s.dat from the wp34s-vers/trunk/windows/bin directory to a safe place where it won't get overwritten by the update.

After the update replace the wp34s.dat file back to it's original directory with the one you put in a safe place, then start the emulator.

It should retain the original programs and memory contents as before the update without the erased message. I have done this through many version changes with no ill effects. There is always the possibility that a new version of the emulator will partition or arrange memory differently causing an incompatibility with the saved memory file, but so-far I have not seen that happen.

Also the wp31s.dat file is stored in the wp34s-vers/branches/wp31s/windows/bin directory. Similarly save the wp31s.dat file to a safe place and restore it after the update back to its original directory.

I personally keep a "Catalog" of wp34s.dat files renamed in a safe place to describe the collection of programs they contain. That makes it easy to reload a whole family of programs with a simple file copy.

Good luck, Barry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP34s and 31s: Updating the emulator while preserving all data - BarryMead - 01-25-2015 06:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)