[WP-34S] Cable and flashing options for Mac users
01-21-2015, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2015 06:15 PM by Bit.)
RE: [WP-34S] Cable and flashing options for Mac users
(01-21-2015 03:06 PM)John Galt Wrote:  Something like this?

Code:
john@ john-VirtualBox:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ls
c:  d::  z:
john@ john-VirtualBox:~/.wine/dosdevices$ sudo ln -s com1 /dev/ttyUSB0
[sudo] password for john: 
john@ john-VirtualBox:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ls
c:  d::  z:
john@ john-VirtualBox:~/.wine/dosdevices$ cd /dev
john@ john-VirtualBox:/dev$ ls ttyUSB0
ttyUSB0
john@ john-VirtualBox:/dev$

I have no idea if that's correct. I also downloaded and ran Prolific's Windows Driver Installer Setup Program here: http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

The driver installation appears to have finished successfully, installing something... somewhere... but I have no idea where drivers are supposed to reside on a Windows system.

The latest roadblock is that MySamBa still shows no ports to choose from - its "connect to" dropdown list is empty. Should "com1" now appear under dosdevices?

Don't use sudo when creating the symlink. The reason is that you're creating the link in a directory you own and it simply points to a device. Referring to another file system object via symlinks doesn't require elevated privileges in Unix system, you only need that to use the object (either directly or via a symlink).

Use this command:
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

After that check if MySamba shows a COM1 device.

/dev/ttyUSB0 is the first serial port accessible over USB, which is what most people would have. You'll need permission to use the device, which usually means your user account has to be a member of the 'dialout' group. If you're unsure, post the output of the following two commands here (while the USB serial cable is plugged in, because these device nodes are usually created on the fly) so we can verify:
id
ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0

You cannot use the kernel component of Windows drivers under Wine and you rarely need the userspace component. Installing Windows driver packages is generally not recommended.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP-34S] Cable and flashing options for Mac users - Bit - 01-21-2015 05:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)