Color Blindness and HP Prime keys color choice
01-20-2014, 10:07 AM
RE: Color Blindness and HP Prime keys color choice
(01-20-2014 02:06 AM)Han Wrote:  What I can distinguish:

1. Production model has grey keys for most of the keyboard, with white on the numerical keys. The beta-preferred one has this reversed.

True, but both colors are darker on the production model. The white became more of an ivory color, and the gray became much darker than the original gray. IMHO, both were unfortunate decisions.

Quote:2. Production model uses bright blue, while the beta-preferred model uses a dark green.

That green is actually a kind of blue-green. The color probably has a name, but I'm a male, so I don't know what it is. ;-)

Another change you can see in Geoff's photos above: the cursor wheel was silver on the early beta units, and black later. IMHO, the current black wheel is MUCH better, both aesthetically and functionally.

Also, the brushed aluminum around the keys became darker. It's much better now. That's not as easy to see in Geoff's photos.

Quote:... Even worse is the apps-related keys at the top are barely legible as far as shifted key labels go -- at first glance I thought they had left off the lettering of the shifted labels. I am curious to hear from someone who preferred the beta-test/attendees color scheme with respect to how they were even able to distinguish that dark green from black.

You're right: those were almost invisible. I held the calculator at an angle to reflect light off the paint just to read them. Of course, after a few weeks of steady use, I had them memorized so it didn't matter. The beta testers knew that it didn't really matter, since the color scheme was going to change anyway.

Since the original beta units didn't have all the shifted keys printed, I made stickers to put in their place, copied from the keys on the original HP digital mockup:

[Image: stickers.jpg]

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Color Blindness and HP Prime keys color choice - Joe Horn - 01-20-2014 10:07 AM
RE: Color Blindness and HP Prime keys color choice - donald Williams - 02-11-2014, 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)