2 HP 16C Calculators Up for Discussion
12-06-2018, 07:53 PM
RE: 2 HP 16C Calculators Up for Discussion
You are correct in your thinking Burkhard. I am referring to the electrolytic plating process when using the term "electrolyte" logo. I am by no means an expert on plating but i do know that there are various electrolytes used to accomplish this process of adhering the material to the surface during electroplating. The early HP 16Cs logos were "plated" and then at some point (mid-1985-ish?) the logos silver coloring was applied by some other, I am assuming cheaper, means. This is the later paint or ink material that shows more signs of wear from insertion and removal from the soft case. If you look closely at the pictures I posted originally you can see the difference in appearance. The serialized 1983 unit has the "electrolyte" plated logo and the unserialized (produced sometime after mid 1985) has the non-plated logo.

I am interested to see if anyone else has come across another unserialized HP 16C. Besides the non-plated logo, it also has the 871B and Class B compliance info printed on the back to help try to date it.

I have sold the 1983 unit but still have the unserialized one that I can try to take better pictures of the logo. The logo is in remarkable shape with only slight wear around the corners and top center of the "HP" circle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2 HP 16C Calculators Up for Discussion - JEDavenport.03@gmail.com - 12-06-2018 07:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)