DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac
06-13-2018, 12:32 PM
RE: DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac
(06-11-2018 08:36 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  In addition to what Thomas_Sch wrote above, it may be easier for you to upgrade to V3.5 first since it is all in one piece. Then further upgrades can be done by the FAT method. Actually, there is no real benefit in upgrading from V3.5 to V3.7 if all you want to do is use the calculator, as there are no bug fixes between the V3.5 and V3.7, just organisational changes.

Since installing dfu-util for a one time use may be a bit of a faff, it may be easier to find a friend running Windows 7 who is willing to help you update the firmware. (There are some problems with drivers when doing this on Windows 10. There are workarounds that leave Windows 10 in a slightly compromised state, so it would be unfair to borrow a friend's PC for this task.)

Installing dfu-util is easy if you already use Homebrew or MacPorts. (The SwissMicros documentation doesn't mention MacPorts, if I remember correctly, but since I use MacPorts myself and don't like Homebrew, I tried installing dfu-util with MacPorts; it installed a slightly older version than the one Homebrew installs, but it works fine for me.)

But yes, install 3.5 and from then on you can install from FAT, which doesn't require anything nonstandard on the Mac or PC side, since mounting USB disks is something they can all do out of the box.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac - NomadVehr - 06-11-2018, 03:56 PM
RE: DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac - Thomas Okken - 06-13-2018 12:32 PM
RE: DM42 Firmware Update on a Mac - KF6GPE - 06-11-2018, 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)