Caveat Emptor
05-17-2018, 10:05 PM
RE: Caveat Emptor
(05-17-2018 09:50 PM)Dan Grelinger Wrote:  A recent conversation I had on ebay...

Item: "Hewlett Pakard 82104A Card Reader for HP-41C, HP-41CV, HP-41CX" (spelling as listed)
Description: "In good working condition"
Photo: Of a nice looking HP-41 Card Reader, model number sticker shows no sign of being removed, so either excellent repair or not repaired.

Question to Seller: "Hi, this is described in good working condition, when were the rubber drive wheels (the ones that decay in 10-15 years into a gummy mess) replaced?"

Seller's response: "I dont see any gummy drive wheels, its in good condition and looks like its been replaced."

Follow up Question to Seller: "Has a card been run through this unit to test it? Was there any residue from a 'gummy' drive wheel left on the card?"

Seller's response: "My friend is the one who tested it before, he didnt mention anything other than its working. Thats all,nothing mentioned about gummy stuff"

Follow up Message to Seller: "Great! If they had not been repaired, some buyer was going to be VERY unhappy. :-)"

Shortly after that message was sent, seller changed the description to: "No physical damage, no cracks that i can see. Im selling it AS IS UNTESTED"

It is too bad that we live in a world with other human beings who do not value honesty or their fellow human beings.

They have a 100% feedback rating, by the way...

At least this seller changed it; many don't even after similar discussions, or pointing out other defects, etc. And the best thing about a seller with 100% FB rating is they usually really, really want to keep it 100%, so you have leverage if they sell you a lemon, item doesn't meet description, etc.

If you even slightly suspect something may be off, always query the seller if he/she tested it personally to verify condition; later if something goes wrong, you can point out to eBay that you even took the time to verify condition, etc.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Caveat Emptor - Dan Grelinger - 05-17-2018, 09:50 PM
RE: Caveat Emptor - rprosperi - 05-17-2018 10:05 PM
RE: Caveat Emptor - grsbanks - 05-18-2018, 05:40 AM
RE: Caveat Emptor - Zaphod - 05-18-2018, 09:50 AM
RE: Caveat Emptor - Dieter - 05-18-2018, 10:56 AM
RE: Caveat Emptor - Zaphod - 05-18-2018, 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)