hp 50G vs hp 35s (keyboard and overall build-quality)
04-10-2018, 09:16 PM
RE: hp 50G vs hp 35s (keyboard and overall build-quality)
(04-10-2018 07:25 PM)zx_spectrum Wrote:  well, i have recently heard that all 48G/X will die soon (LCD bleeding issue) . so considering the fact that the future is a calculator app on smartphone-like hardware besides the idea of continuing my life with my very-hated birthday-gift casio scares the %$^# out of me.
so i am trying decide between whether to invest in 50G or stick to more 48G's from eBay because as a guy with PhD in robotics i sure can make a use of a nice machine in daily life

Ahhh, there was some useful information in there!
First, I don't think the 48 calculators will be dying en masse soon, so I wouldn't panic. In addition to my 50g and 35s (and a number of others), I have a 48GX (with blue screen) which I bought new. My wife also has a 48GX (black screen) which she bought new (anyone jealous?). Both work great. No display problems...yet anyhow. These things are about 20 years old already and I have faith they are good for at least another 20 years.

If you are already familiar and like the 48 (not a small machine either), I think almost certainly you should try a 50g. It's a little bigger than the 48 and the ENTER key is in a stupid place, but most everything else is similar to what you are used to, but better (and way faster). The keyboard isn't quite as fine as the 48, but the display is a whole lot better, in terms of contrast and sharpness. That isn't something that reflects degradation of the HP48 over time, but rather a complaint I've always had about them, especially the blue screen variant. For some reason as well on the 48, the slashed zero 0 and the eight 8 look too similar to me. This was the case when I was thirty and with my eyes 20 years older, it hasn't gotten better. In any event, the differentiation between these numerals is much better on the 50g.

If you are already used to a 48G and like it, the 35s may prove a lot of annoying changes for you. Go with the 50g.

Good luck!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: hp 50G vs hp 35s (keyboard and overall build-quality) - burkhard - 04-10-2018 09:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)