hp 50G vs hp 35s (keyboard and overall build-quality)
04-10-2018, 05:20 PM
RE: hp 50G vs hp 35s (keyboard and overall build-quality)
I think as well that the 35s has been given a bad rap. I have one and a 50g as well. Each has its strong and weak points. For me, keyboard on each is fine. No missed clicks or doubleclicks. Both are firm but solid. Both have printed key labels, not the old double-injected ones of 25+ years ago. That's life today.

As others have said, it comes down to what you want to use it for. I'm skipping a lot, but key differences for me are:

The 50g is *large*, not "pocketable" for most people.
It's got a great multiline screen.
The enter key size and placement is "not ideal"
Programming via RPL much more advanced than for 35g
Can communicate to computer via cable or CD card
The 50g graphs. Many non-students care little about this (use a PC instead), but just so you know...

The 35g is smaller and can fit in many pockets
The screen is two lines and more limited than that of 50g. The size/shape of the numbers tend to bug some people (including me).
General key layout generally liked (with some minor gripes). The Enter key is the right size and in the right spot.
It handles fractional math nicely (good for US users in a wood or machine shop)
Integer mode (DEC/HEX/BIN) is clumsy
A direct Rectangular ↔Polar conversion is missing
Complex number handling is weak.
Relatively simple (and rather limited compared to HP50g) keystroke-programming limited to 26 single letter labels.
No graphing

So, figure what you need and seek one out. Better yet, cover your bases and get one of each. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: hp 50G vs hp 35s (keyboard and overall build-quality) - burkhard - 04-10-2018 05:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)