Algebraic Programming Language APL
10-12-2018, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 09:11 PM by burkhard.)
RE: Algebraic Programming Language APL
I originally was just going to send this note to a couple of people on the thread, but maybe others would be interested. Years ago, I defined an alternate "geek" keyboard layout for Windows which is based on the US QWERTY layout, but makes use of the RIGHT "Alt" key (and the shifted version of it) to directly invoke all sorts of special characters, math symbols, Greek letters, language diacritics, and the like WITHOUT having to remember code #s or tediously copy-paste from the character map tool.

I've used it as my only keyboard layout for many years and have given to to colleagues as well. There's little pain going back and forth between it and the "default" should you need to since it doesn't radically change the normal keyboard, but mostly makes use of that Right Alt key to do the new stuff. As far as I know it works with all versions of Windows, although I didn't go back before XP and haven't tried Win10 yet.

It can be easily personally customized with a free Microsoft tool if you like. Also, while I started with the base keyboard being the default QWERTY that Windows ships with in teh US market, but somebody could easily do the same idea starting from any of the many other regional QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY, or other layouts.

I've attempted to attach a map of what it looks like.

If anybody is interested, send me a private mail with your email and I'll send you the files.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Algebraic Programming Language APL - burkhard - 10-12-2018 08:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)