Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention.
10-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention.
So today I was wondering if I could collect the MoHPC archives. So I started with wget -r with bandwidth limited to 16kb/s . This produced errors.

So I learned the lesson and I said "ok unlimited download speed but every link visited after 5 seconds, not one after another". After a while, still errors.

I raised the interval between requests to 10 seconds, then 20 and then 30. But at the end I got only 50x server errors . I could access the main page and nothing else.

Now I am not sure if the error was faked (i.e: in reality I was the only guy blocked) or it was a general error. In the case it was a general error, for my experience with webservers I would guess that the fcgi processor (Perl for the old forum?) had a memory leak crashing the entire system. Of course it is a guess.

Anyway it was not my intention. I am not sure if there is a compressed version of the archives somewhere, otherwise I would like just to collect those even if I have to go very slow (60 seconds between connections is ok? 120? 180?)

So, since no one posted after 17.00 (CEST) until 19.00 (CEST) , although I know a site should be "solid" it is also true that I may have contributed to wreck it. Sorry.

PS: side request. Could the archives be static? Since they won't get updated anymore, can the pages be generated once and that's it?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention. - pier4r - 10-03-2017 08:05 PM
What about an European MoHPC hub? - Dieter - 11-24-2017, 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)